Ice on a burn

Atsushi allows the tired lump to fall from his lips, stretching his mouth a bit as a breathy noise escapes.

Dazai smiles from his desk, "Was that a yawn?"

Atsushi furrows his brows, "It was, why?"

"Kunikida working you too hard?" Dazai presses his right cheek onto his palm.

Atsushi shakes his head, eyes going back to where the browser blinks on a dimly lit screen. His vision a bit fuzzy from the remaining moisture that came with the previous action. His fingers started typing again but deft ones stopped his motion, encompassing darker fingers around his lighter ones.

The younger blinks confusedly up at his mentor, a question apparent in his eyes. Dazai just denies any form of response and leads Atsushi out from his chair, cleverly closing the laptop that had strained heterochromatic eyes since the morning.

Kunikida calls out to them and Dazai exclaims something in dramatics that grows faint to Atsushi's ears. Yosano steps out from the kitchen where they pass, her giving a nod of acknowledgment and lips moving in conversation with the brunette. Atsushi unaware of what words they're saying because of the mild migraine in his head.

He watches his feet take steps upon the dark oak floor, vaguely aware of the firm but gentle hand that guides him to a green carpeted establishment at the end of the hallway. Atsushi sniffs at the air, hints of alcohol and mahogany cling to the walls, his nose wrinkles with distaste.

"Yeah, sorry. Didn't think I'd get company right now." Dazai winces, stepping over fallen beer bottles that litter the entrance. "Just stay here for a moment."

And he was gone.

Atsushi blearily looks up, pale fingers rubbing the spots of his temples roughly with silent groans. The environment isn't clean but it still provides a homey feeling that Atsushi loves being wrapped around with. He startles when Dazai appears by his side.

"Head hurt?" He asks, eyes searching for something.

Atsushi becomes puzzled, "Yes, why'd you bring me here?" He still hadn't grasped where here is.

Dazai grins widely, "I'll be your personal caretaker tonight!" Hands on hips, standing proud.

Atsushi sneers with the loudness, "Why?"

"Because I've noticed the bags under your eyes and how prone you are to space out." Dazai explains, wagging his finger in front of Atsushi's face.

Atsushi quizzically peers up at him.

"Come on."

.

He's propped on a lain futon, a pillow under his head while he stares blankly at the ceiling. Dazai, again, disappeared somewhere and left him with a cold towel on his forehead. The low temperature seeps into his skin, Atsushi sighs deeply with how intense he's being cooled down.

A light blanket is wrapped around his body, his bare feet wiggle at the end of the bed, free of any garments — insecurity befalling Atsushi when Dazai unclothed his toes. But he was quickly shushed when the ice cold towel was smacked onto his forehead; albeit softly.

He rests his bare arms across his stomach, fingers interwoven. He glances to the side as Dazai tumbles in, carrying a bottle of water and a pill.

"Here, drink." He says, holding both items out.

Atsushi raises his head and takes the glass, drinking the icy liquid after gulping the pill whole. He winces when the movement increases the sharp twinge in his head. Dazai applies another cool towel on his fringe before taking it away.

Atsushi whines a little, brows tensing to put pressure. Dazai chuckles, "Don't worry, it'll get better."

Atsushi doesn't move when gentle fingers press deeply into the spots above the middle of his eyebrows. Dazai moves his fingers in soothing circular motions going in a line from the middle to the ends of his forehead, applying pressure to the middle and going lightly til the end.

He stifles a laugh when Atsushi's eyes twitch, eyelids pale, Dazai proceeds to rub under silver brows, and on. Atsushi scrunches them for a split second and relaxes his face.

Long fingers press softly on cheekbones and everywhere that Atsushi tenses for. After the full facial message was finished, Dazai puts a cold cloth on Atsushi's forehead again, going over to relieve the knots that built on pale wrists and fingers.

"Ah-" The younger startles when a particular place got too much pressure.

Dazai winces, "My bad."

Atsushi nods once.

His fingers clench around the warm hand that lifts it, "No, you got to relax. Else it won't work." Dazai reminds.

Atsushi does as told.

.

His hair moves in a slow steady rhythm, making him question where he was. Silver eyelashes flutter open and land upon half-lidded brown eyes that seem to memorize the soft moving platinum strands, twirling around his finger.

"Have a nice nap?" Dazai asks, the edges of his lips twitch upward.

Atsushi hums low in his throat, closing his eyes again and burrowing deeper into the covers that smell so much like coffee mingled with aftershave.

"You got sleepy stuff on your eyes." Dazai whispers and brushes the crust off Atsushi. Being as gentle as possible and exhaling as his knees stretch. "Sorry for waking you up, I'll be going now."

When Atsushi tries to answer back, he finds he couldn't. With the silent environment that eases his tension, the pinch's of pain had dissipated into a forlorn dream. He presses his cheek against a cold pillow, shuffling his legs to comfortably situate under the sheets. Engraving his scent on the beddings.

Dazai switches the light off and prepares to cook chazuke for breakfast.

————————————————————————
Couldn't come up with a fitting title... my baddd!

Hope you like! Take care of yourselves!