Letting go

"The sunset is beautiful isn't it, Osamu?" Atsushi whispers, gazing across the horizon as the last remnants of the glowing rays disappear from sight. Giving birth to the dark cloak of night. A nearby bird twitters, Atsushi's lips quiver for a second. He exhales softly, releasing the tension from his lungs and turns to the small brown bird.

It blinks it's eyes slowly, as if wanting to memorize Atsushi's face, in a way it might be. The bird came closer, small musical notes escaping from its mouth. When it was within range, Atsushi reaches his hand out. The bird cuddles close, tweeting ever so cutely with the attention it's receiving, the bird was fluffy to the touch.

It's feathers puff out in sole pleasure, Atsushi smiles as it nestles deeper into the crevice of his palm, his vision blurs. That same prickling sensation on the back of his throat hints of its existence, just as that one day. He doesn't stop as the tears trail hot paths down his face, imprinting his pain to the paleness of his skin.

The bird chippers, Atsushi sniffles as it gently pecked his hand.

"I'm ok, don't worry. I'll fly soon too." Atsushi picks the creature up, giving it a lasting kiss to its head, tears tasting of salt on his quaking lips. The bird tweets happily.

.

"You know sometimes, I wish I were a bird." Dazai pondered. Head tilted back and eyes observing the ceiling of the office.

"Why?" Atsushi genuinely inquired, hands halting their movements.

"I just want to be free. Be able to fly away whenever I want. Be freed from this mind that does not know humanity, freed from these never ending loopholes and thoughts. I hate having to be chained down to this life that has no meaning behind it." Dazai replied, eyes slightly narrowing as he takes in the coloration of the roof. His concentration never wavered.

Atsushi's heart beat quickened, fingers fumbling with the keys to his computer. "D-Dazai...you know, You can talk to m-"

"Ahhhh~ but also I want to be freed from this boredom~ who'd want to stay in this place for hours!? You know, I could just fly out of here if I had wings." The brunette whined, eyes now squinting with his wide grin, poking at Atsushi's cheek.

"Ugh, seriously, stop doing that!" The younger smacked his hand away, cheeks reddening with his embarrassment. He hears as his counterpart lets out a cackle, swiveling in his chair while singing. "Maybe...you'll be a bird. In another life." Atsushi whispers, fingers tapping against his wooden desk.

"Haha, like rebirth?" Dazai giggled.

.

"Exactly. Like rebirth." Atsushi pushes the bird to the sky, watching as it spreads its wings expertly. The creature flies around his body twice, moving gracefully. It twitters out a melody, one that Atsushi would know by heart, before disappearing in the horizon where the moon shines brightly.

——————————————————————

What is it with me and death?? 😤 I'm sorry I keep writing stories like these.

"The sunset is beautiful, isn't it?" Is actually a saying where someone means "I love you, but I'm letting you go." Hence the title of the story.

Waaaah, I'm so sorry guys I've been so busy with stuff, I haven't had time to do a longer story. I'm Sorry. I hope you guys have a good day or night!!! Thank you for reading! Love u!