Those days

Atsushi lightly knocked on his mentor's door. When no response came, he knocked again, this time with a bit more force. The other side was dead silent, absolutely no sign of life behind the door; Atsushi's panic rose.

He fumbled with the keys in his hand, that Kunikida had so graciously given him. Atsushi's nerves were shot, having trouble with getting the key through the hole, he lets out a relieved sigh when he finally manages to open the door.

"Dazai?" He calls out, surveying the messy room, his trepidation only increases when he comes up empty. Allowing himself into the kitchen, thinking his mentor would be there, he looks around. Alas, his mentor was not there; Atsushi moved onto the next room.

"Dazai?" He tries again, fear crawling into the front of his mind when no answer once again came. The dinning room only occupied a dark wooden table, a light bulb hanging from the ceiling. Atsushi shuddered, it felt lonely here, he knew Dazai liked his solitude but this house was rather deserted.

Seeing as the bedroom door was wide open, Atsushi stepped forward, not without knocking lightly.

"I'm coming in." He called out, keenly aware of the dead silence in the room. He would've taken another step but the scattered glass bottles made him become a statue. Forgot about his habits, Atsushi groaned in his head.

He went back to the kitchen, going through every empty cabinet to find a trash bag. Pulling out the plastic material from its containment, he makes his way back towards the bedroom.

Carefully inching his way through the cracked door, he scoops down to pick up the vacant beer bottles. The clink they made, once discarded, was somewhat satisfying to the weretiger. Although, he shouldn't be getting too comfortable, especially when his current situation was dire.

After making a clear path, he glances up at the big lump situated on the bed. Atsushi smiles a bit, relieved at the fact that Dazai was okay. His mentor had wrapped his blanket tightly around his body, his face was hidden as well.

Atsushi steps closer, lowering himself on the ground near Dazai's mat. The bag rustled and the bottles clinked when set down, letting the brunette know of Atsushi's presence.

"Dazai...you ok?" The weretiger pokes at the lump, trying to get his mentor to peek out at least.

"Yesh.."

"You don't sound like it." Atsushi chuckles lowly, he let go of the bag, moving over to grab the end of the blanket. Lifting it ever so slightly to uncover Dazai's whole head.

"Hey.." Atsushi greets cheerfully in a small whisper, he smiles tenderly when Dazai brings his attention to him.

"Sorry Atsushi, I'm feeling rather nihilistic right now." Dazai whispers from his position, hair tousled about his head, eyes puffy with dark circles underneath.

"Oh Dazai, I'm sorry. Is it one of those days?" Atsushi reaches over to pluck away a stray hair from Dazai's cheek.

"Yes." Dazai pressed his tired looking face into his pillow, his breaths slightly picking up due to the small amount of oxygen.

"I see, you're quite lethargic and monotonous today then usual. Hmm, but this time you're responding to my questions." Atsushi places his pointer finger on his chin, deeply in thought. Calculating how he'll be able to provide for his superior.

"Such big words for your vocabulary, Atsushi. Who taught them to you?" Dazai stated, tone shifting to that of complacency.

"You did, Dazai." Atsushi giggles, reaching over to gently pat Dazai's covered shoulder. That had his mentor turn once more to him, a very genuine smile on his face. Atsushi warmed at the thought of it not being strained, Dazai would usually do such things when he didn't want to burden him.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"...not really...why're you here though?" Dazai asks, any hint of playfulness was long gone.

"Well, Kunikida did ask me to come and drag you back to the office but....figured you could use a break. Just between you and me though." Atsushi pressed a finger to his lips, smiling mischievously down at his superior.

"Ooooo~ my Atsu is turning into a rebel!" Dazai swipes at a fake tear, Atsushi just rolls his eyes and lightly shoves him away.

"You shouldn't be proud! You're just a bad teacher." Atsushi huffs, his arms tightly crossed on his chest, his nose wrinkled accompanied by a small frown.

"You look so cute when you pout~! You won't be able to convince people with that face." Dazai laughs, his head now resting on his pillow, facing the silverette, with his arms under it.

"Whatever." Atsushi sniffed, his nose upturning with distaste, "Here, I'll clean up your room for you."

"You don't have to...but thank..you." Dazai snuggles his face into his pillow once more, Atsushi was not able to decipher the look his mentor had.

"I want to." Atsushi makes quick work of his hands, placing glass bottles into the plastic bag, getting wrappers or food containers out from the floor. Sweeping a bit, and mopping.

Took about 30 minutes to do, Dazai was most likely asleep so Atsushi tried to excuse himself. He didn't quite make it to the door before a small voice called out to him.

"Atsushi..stay, please." Dazai says, hand reaching out in a weak attempt for his mentee.

"Ok." Atsushi goes back to the same spot, "May I ask why?"

"Nightmares." Came the vague response; but that was all he needed to know of what Dazai's current dilemma was.

"Alright. I'll be here when you wake up, ok?" Atsushi, although boldly, threads his fingers to tame Dazai's bed head. The contented sigh he heard was more than enough invitation for him to continue.

"Thank you."

————————————————————————
Sorry I haven't been posting a while. I hope you liked this (very) short one tho! Love you guys! Thank you!