Christmas

"We decided to hold a Christmas party." Kunikida states out, fixing his glasses higher on his nose.

"Wait really?" Atsushi asks, disbelief hinting in his tone.

"Yes yes! However, the tree isn't finished yet." Dazai shouts from the drinks table. A cup half full already in his hand, the alcohol inside threatening to spill all over the floor with each wave of Dazai's arm.

"Idiot! Be careful with that!" Kunikida yells, voice booming onto Atsushi's heightened hearing.

"Ah! Don't scream so loud! It's supposed to be a holiday today." Dazai mumbles under his breath, a faint smirk playing onto his lips that seems to tick the blond off.

"It's never a holiday with you around!" Kunikida fumes before stomping away.

Dazai huffs, shrugging his shoulders before downing the beer with one huge gulp. Atsushi pads over, his lip stuck between his teeth.

"Don't worry Dazai, I enjoy your presence during the holidays." Atsushi smiles up at him, trying to cheer the other a bit. He knew Kunikida didn't mean his words but they stung even Atsushi. Yet they weren't directed to him at all.

"Thanks." Dazai whispers softly, hand coming up to pat his hair. He crushes the plastic cup and walks away. Atsushi's eyes trail after him, debating whether to follow or not. Ultimately deciding for the latter, Atsushi ponders over to the snack table, grabbing a small plate, placing a cookie and a brownie.

He has a mild sweet tooth but nothing too crazy unlike his roommate. Trotting over to the couch, he exhaled longingly when the cushion sinks under his weight. Leaning on the backrest to rid the ache that's been bothering him all night.

Presents huh? He wonders whether he deserves them or not. He hasn't done anything particularly 'good' besides the regular agency work. The texture of the cookie meets his tongue, crumbs slipping from the corner of his mouth. They fall on the couch, Atsushi glances around before brushing them away, letting them drop onto the carpet.

He blushes from the shame, tips of ears turning red from the guilt he felt. The feeling twists around his gut before he inevitably relents, getting off the couch and crouching down. Allowing the small cookie crumbs to create a tiny mountain on his palm.

"Atsushi~ do you know what you're standing under??" Dazai sing songs, practically bouncing on the balls of his feet. Atsushi has full view on the black dress shoes that Dazai dons.

"Uh...no?" Atsushi voices from the ground, cupping the crumbs and standing. He notes the very satisfied grin on his mentors face. Kind of creepy in his opinion. He turns around and dusts the crumbs onto his plate, his cookie only having a single bite.

"Well~ You," Dazai emphasizes this with a prod to Atsushi's chest. "My friend, are under a mistletoe!" He outstretches his arms, grin never faltering.

"A mistletoe?" Atsushi frowns, confusion underlying his senses.

"Yes, that." Dazai points upward.

There it was, a mistletoe hanging from a thin thread. Frankly, it was a poor attempt at putting it up; should've raised suspicion on its placement, yet, Atsushi was far too oblivious on the primary motive.

"So?" He questions.

"Soooo....we have to kiss! It's tradition!" Dazai winks, finger coming up to press against Atsushi's lips.

"K-kiss?! W-why? What kind of tradition is that?" The furious scarlet blush adorning the tigers face was indeed attractive. Dazai almost gave in to his impulses.