Finding my way with you

"Dazai?"
"Kunikida..?"
"Fukuzawa-sensei..?"

Atsushi whips his head back and forth, vision getting blurry by the seconds as he discovers he's being surrounded by strangers. His class was on a field trip to the zoo, they were walking around the marine animals exhibit when he decided to stay staring at an otter a little longer than his class. Eventually after 40 whole seconds, he averted his attention back to his class only to find them gone.

"Fukuzawa-sensei?" Atsushi tried one more time before he sits down on a wooden bench to sulk. One more look around the exhibit and he's all alone, he lets out a frightened wail.

"Waah Dazai! Fukuzawa-sensei, Where are you!" Atsushi continues to cry, hands wrapping around his little body in a self hug to provide even a smidge of comfort. And suddenly, a new realization hit him, which only proved to hurt him even further. "Dazai! I lost my Dazai! I lost my class!"

Atsushi continues to shout, tears freely falling from his eyes, not noticing when two hands grab his face, "You dummy, why'd you wander off?" Even if Atsushi couldn't see the person's face, he would know that voice anywhere.

He stretches his arms out to grasp at Dazai and the other complies with giving the 4 year old a hug. Dazai allows for the younger to weep onto his chest, petting his hair as he rocks them in the same motion.

Atsushi sniffles as he comes from underneath the brunette's chin, "How'd you find me?" He asks meekly while Dazai swipes some extra tears away  and gives a big prideful smile.

"I followed your cries of course! I wandered off too but then I heard a little someone wailing 'Dazaiiii~ Dazaiiii~' so I came here!" He throws his arms into the air, "You know like when those princes in the stories save the princess when they hear their cries?"

Atsushi furrows his brows, "I'm not a princess though, Dazai and you're not a prince." This statement causes a frown to form on Dazai's face and he sighs.

Reaching his hand out to pull Atsushi gently onto his feet, he remarks with prominence, "We can just pretend, either way I still saved you, so come on let's go back." Dazai grins mischievously, leading Atsushi out the exhibit.

"Wait! You know where sensei is?" Atsushi gasps, happily skipping along to match the others pace, feeling a lot safer with the brunette by his side.

Dazai turns to him and gives a fleeting grimace, "Well no.....but I do remember where the zoo exit is so we can meet them there!"

Atsushi takes a moment to conjure up the unbelievable truth that Dazai is way too smart for his 5 year old age. He pouts and deflates, Dazai giving a low laugh and pat's Atsushi's head. "How about we go see the tiger exhibit?"

Atsushi raises his head before a slow smile stretches on his face. "Yes yes let's go!" Atsushi marches forward, evidently taking the lead and strutting to where the tigers are. The only thing holding him back was the unmoving of his friend. Atsushi looks behind him, "What's wrong, Dazai?"

"Do you even know where the tiger exhibit is my little Atsushi?" Dazai teases. At that, Atsushi blushes from embarrassment and denies in humiliating reluctance. Upon hearing Dazai snickering, he fumes even more, allowing to be lead away from their location.

"Don't let go of my hand now, Atsushi, don't wanna get lost again right?" Dazai whispers, Atsushi shakes his head, cheeks still a tint of red.

Entering the tiger exhibit, Dazai stands aside, letting the other to gleefully gaze at the wild cats in wonder. The small twinkle in Atsushi's eyes was enough to put a smile on his own face. Responding when Atsushi points at a particular tiger with white fur instead of orange.

Dazai claims that Atsushi and it had a minor resemblance to each other, receiving an eyebrow wrinkle and a negative in response. Gratefully enduring Atsushi's excited chattering on facts about tigers, Dazai soon suggests to head back. Ultimately agreeing, Atsushi is once again led back to their school group, stopping short when their frantic looking teacher comes into view.

Both children make their way over, Kunikida and Rampo glaring at the two of them. "Where'd you guys go? The teacher was looking everywhere for you." Before Dazai could respond, him and Atsushi were yanked upwards.

"Dazai! Atsushi! Where did u two go?! I was so worried about you." Fukuzawa snuggles Dazai and Atsushi closer to his chest. Atsushi giggles and struggles to breathe while Dazai gets comfortably situated against his teacher. They make eye contact and smile at one another.

Maybe getting lost wasn't so bad.