Chapter Forty Nine • Where Were You?

𝙇𝙪𝙣𝙖'𝙨 𝙋𝙤𝙫

"Mommy, why do I have to go to school during the summer and other kids don't." Asher asks as I get him ready for bed.

"Some kids go to school in the summer cause they need extra help, and sometimes parents are too busy so they keep them in school." I say pulling his shirt over his head.

"Like Noah?" He asks with a smile.

"Like Noah."

Asher's currently going to school once a week on Monday so that he can catch up on a few things, but mainly we want him to meet some other kids before he starts school in September.

Noah is one of the other little boys who will be going to school with Asher, they've known each other for a week and have hung out every day. Asher's also become friends with the other kids at summer school, but Noah's definitely his favourite.

"Noah's birthday is next week, he asked if I would come to his birthday party. Can I go?" He asks with a big smile.

"Look at you, two birthday parties in the span of two weeks." I gasp with a playful smile. "Of course you can go, I'll talk to his mom tomorrow." I say as I hold his face in my hands and place a bunch of kisses all over his face.

"Okay, time for bed."

Asher walks over and crawls into bed as I sit on the side of him and tuck him in.

"Mommy," He says.

"Yes baby."

"Where's daddy?"

My smile falters for a moment before covering it up as I lean in closer to him. "Daddy's planning a surprise for us that takes a lot of work, but we can't tell him we know, okay?"

The biggest smile crosses his face as he nods his head.

"Goodnight baby, I love you." I say as I kiss his head.

"I love you too mommy." He says with a yawn.

I stand up and make sure to turn on his nightlight before making my way out of the room.

I let out a deep sigh as I make my way towards the bedroom and sit down at the desk as I begin working on some homework I need to catch up on. I'm not sure how long I've been working but the sound of the bedroom door slowly opening catch's my attention.

Jax quietly enters the room and softly closes the door as he turns around, jumping a little when he sees me sitting at the desk.

"Oh, you're awake." He says as more of a question.

"Yeah, I've been busy lately and I'm trying to catch up on some homework." I say running a hand through my hair before looking at him again. "Where were you? It's two in the morning."

His body tenses slightly as he diverts his eyes away from mine.

"Oh, I was with Xander. We were hanging out and I lost track of time." He says as he walks over and places a quick kiss on my lips. "I'm gonna shower, you should get some sleep."