Chapter Thirty • Beginning of The End

𝙇𝙪𝙣𝙖'𝙨 𝙋𝙤𝙫

"Luna, could you come here honey." Mrs.Jones says from the back of the store.

I had the closing shift today and even though I practically begged Mrs.Jones to go home she refused.

I walk to the back of the book store, finding Mrs.Jones surrounded by boxes of our new shipment.

"What's up?" I ask as I walk up to her.

She turns to me and gives me a sweet smile, gesturing towards the two chairs at the back. We make our way over and sit down.

"What's been going on lately honey you barely come in anymore, especially since Lily resigned." She questions, placing a hand on top of mine.

Lily decided to quit her job here at the café. With college as well as her working full time for the Mafia as a hacker it was just too much for her to handle. Mrs.Jones gave her the biggest hug and told her she's always welcomed back here.

I feel absolutely horrible about not showing up lately.

I've just been so focused on everything going on with the Mafia that I forgot I have a real job. I barely show up and when I do I'm always late, yet Mrs.Jones doesn't say anything.

"I'm so sorry, I have no excuses for how irresponsible I've been lately." I say, guilt filling my body.

"Oh honey I don't care about you coming in for work or not, you know that you being here was never about the job." She speaks while waving her hand.

After Lily and I moved here this was the first place we found. We'd come here every single day, sometimes even twice a day. Back then Mrs.Jones was accompanied by her husband but lately he's been sick.

God I'm a horrible person for not checking in more.

I always felt comfortable around Mrs.Jones and I told her a lot about my past, even the things I didn't wish to remember. She's been there for me and the fact that I just left without saying anything isn't okay.

I get lost in my thoughts, her next words pulling me out of them.

"I guess working for your Mafia boyfriend is tiring huh?" She says with a sly smile.

My eyes widen as I look into her eyes, my mouth opening and closing like a fish, no words coming out.

"Come on Luna, you think I didn't know." She scoffs. "You always come into work with cuts and bruises. Bodyguards hanging out around you all day, which may I add they aren't good at hiding it." She laughs. "And I mean you always having a gun and knife strapped to you was a dead give away."

I sit there for a second trying to process what's just happened, my brain completely blank.

She lets out a sigh and leans in, looking at me with a smile.

"He makes you happy, right?"

I look at her for a second before giving her a small nod.

"Then fuck what anyone says." She shrugs.

"Mrs.Jones! You can't say that." I say in shock at her choice of words.