Chapter Twenty Nine • Bloody Valentine

𝙇𝙪𝙣𝙖'𝙨 𝙋𝙤𝙫

Las Vegas.

The city that never sleeps.

Wait, isn't that New York?

Never mind you get it.

Jax and I got off the jet about fifteen minutes ago, right now we're making our way to the hotel we're staying in for the next night or two.

Tomorrow's Valentine's day, the same day that we're going undercover to find out any information about Kyle's "business" meeting.

Such a romantic way to spend Valentine's day with your boyfriend am I right.

I stare out the window of the car, Jax's arm wrapped around my shoulders as he speaks to Baxter through the phone.

This reminds me of my mom and Zoe.

When my mom first got diagnosed with cancer we were hopeful, making plans for what we'd do once she was better.

I remember sitting in the waiting room of the hospital with my mom and Zoe, just another typical Tuesday or some shit. As we were sitting there my mom randomly spoke.

"Once I'm better I want to go on vacation, the three of us." She speaks with a big smile.

"Where would we go?" Zoe asks with a big smile of her own.

"We can go wherever we want to go." Mom says.

"Oh what about Las Vegas! You know what they say, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas." I add as my mom and sister laugh, me joining in.

"We'll go to Vegas, and Hawaii, and Paris and anywhere else we wanna go." Zoe says.

"We'll just have to wait till I'm all better." My mom says with a hopeful smile.

"You okay?" Jax says pulling me out of my thoughts.

I quickly wipe my tears and look at him, passing him a small smile.

It's like he instantly knows what's wrong.

"I know you miss her, them. I promise you when I tell you that they're proud of you and would want you to be happy."

"Really?" I speak in a quiet voice.

"Of course they would, why wouldn't they?" He says brushing some hair away from my face.

"I'm just so scared that they wouldn't like who I am, who I've become." I say biting my lip as my eyes begin to water again. "What if I'm not everything they hoped I would be, not what they wanted me to be."

"What they want is for you to be happy, I promise. The person you are now is who you've always been, you were just forced to suppress it for so long because Kyle didn't want you to know you were stronger than he'd ever be." He says as he wipes my tears away.

He smiles at me.

"My beautiful girl." He whispers before leaning down and kissing my forehead.