Chapter Thirty One • What Did You Just Say?

𝙇𝙪𝙣𝙖'𝙨 𝙋𝙤𝙫

Most kids are afraid of thunder and lightning, hiding under their covers until the storm passes, but not me.

I always found comfort in storms.

Whenever my father, or should I say the man who I thought was my father would lock me in my room all I could hear was silence.

I remember being a little girl sitting in the corner of my dark room, tears streaming down my face as the deafening silence consumed me. The bad words that had been thrown at me resurfacing.

"You're not good enough."

"You're too chubby, you should go on a diet."

"You're not pretty like the other little girls."

"You're too weird, no wonder you have no friends."

"No one could ever love you."

The words would swirl around inside my head, reminding me that no one would ever want me, that no one would stick around.

That I'd always be alone.

But the sounds booming from outside my window would fill the void, silence the voices inside my head.

Even if I didn't have any real friends, I knew I always had one I could count on.

The rain.

The sound of Jax turning over beside me in bed pulls me out of my thoughts, turning my head to look at his sleeping figure.

His face is squished into the pillow, his lips formed in a small pout.

Bear sleeps in between us, cuddled into Jax's side as Jax has his arm draped over him.

A smile covers my face as I admire them for a while before turning my head back towards the big window in our bedroom, my eyes carefully watching as lightning flashes across the sky, rain hitting against the glass of the window.

I let out a sigh before I quietly made my way out of bed, walking towards the kitchen.

Once I make it to the kitchen I bend over the counter, my hands coming up to cover my face as an exhausted sigh leaves my mouth.

I stand there for a few minutes, my mind clouded by a thousand running thoughts before two hands wrap around my waist, my body standing up straight tensely.

"It's okay, it's just me." Jax whispers in his deep groggy voice.

My body relaxes in his hold, my hands coming down to hold his that are gently stroking my bare stomach under my shirt.

Jax turns me around to face him, his eyes half closed from tiredness.

"I can hear you thinking, what's going on inside that pretty little head of yours?" He asks as one of his hands comes up to move a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Nothing, go back to bed you look tired." I say, passing him a quick fake smile.

He looks at me with a questioning look, one of his eyebrows raised. "Luna..."