Chapter Forty Four • Nightlight

𝙅𝙖𝙭'𝙨 𝙋𝙤𝙫

Watching Luna break down like that was the hardest thing I've ever seen. The way her body shook in fear from whatever nightmare she was having. The way she was screaming, pleading for whoever it was to stop without using any words.

God, her scream.

It felt like someone took a knife and stabbed me in the heart over and over again, twisting it deeper each time.

I can't even begin to imagine what she went through when she was there. The thought of what he could've done to her makes me sick to my stomach and my skin burns with rage all at once.

After we brought her back home and I took her to the infirmary is when I truly got to see her. The way her bones stuck out due to the lack of food. How her body was covered in layers of blood and dirt. How badly her face was beaten that she looks almost unrecognizable.

And God, her eye.

Her fucking eye.

All I wanted to do was hold her in my arms and never let her go but she couldn't even talk to me, let alone look at me. All she did was give me a nod to let me know she was listening.

I didn't know what to tell Asher. He had been asking me numerous questions about why her eye looked like that and why she wouldn't talk to him.

Yet after all that he had the sweetest smile on his face as he talked to me about how beautiful Luna is.

I've known this kid for a day and I already love him.

When Luna asked me to hold her I did just that.

We laid on the floor, her in my arms as she sobbed into my chest. Heart wrenching sobs.

I'm not sure how long we sat there on the floor together, but by the time she calmed down and fell asleep in my arms the sun was coming up.

After I placed her in bed I made my way out of the room and made my way towards Xander's and Oliver's room.

"Asher no jumping." I heard Oliver say as I approached the door. "Xander, no jumping for you either."

I opened the door and laughed at the sight in front of me.

"You're boring." Xander says jumping up and down on the bed with Asher.

"Yeah, you're boring." Asher agreed.

Oliver gasps in offence as he places his hands on his hips. "And the both of you just lost your ice cream privileges."

"What! No!" The two of them yell at the same time.

"Am I interrupting something?" I say.

"Jax!" Asher says as he jumps off the bed and runs over to me.

"Hey little guy." I say as I pick him up. "How did you sleep?"

"Good, but I wish I could've stayed with you and Luna." He pouts.

"I know buddy." I say ruffling his hair.