Chapter 4- Flight

Chapter four- Flight

The door banged open and Caldor stood in its archway, transformed into a living shadow by the firelight behind him. His hair was in disarray and his clothes were ripped and stained. His dark eyes glinted as he looked down on her in fury. A half-empty bottle dangled from one hand. The amber liquid inside glowed, catching the light of the fire.

"Caldor," Jaylin swallowed.

"Get 'nside," he growled.

She crawled backward in the snow, shaking her head, "Caldor, please."

"I SAID GET 'NSIDE!" he yelled. He lurched forward, grabbed a fistful of her shirt and skin, and flung her through the doorway.

She rolled and skidded a few feet on the floorboards before coming to a stop, dazed but unhurt. Only her elbow throbbed where she had landed on it. She shook her head and looked around to see Caldor standing by the still open door.

"You," he said, taking slow steps toward her, "You 'mbarressed me. 'N front 'f everybody."

Jaylin edged away from him, creeping on her elbows.

"I w'rk hard fer years. To give you all this," he gestured widely at the whole room with the hand that held the bottle. Liquid splashed out onto the floor. His voice was perilously calm, "And this. This 's how you repay me?"

Jaylin's back hit the warm stone of the hearth. She pressed up against it, but couldn't retreat any more. He crouched in front of her. Jaylin could smell the alcohol on him.

"IS IT?!" he bellowed, spraying her with foul breath. "IS IT?!" He seized her shoulder and shook it.

"No," Jaylin whimpered.

"DID I ASK YOU TO SPEAK?!" His huge palm came up and smacked her across the cheek. Her head whipped around and banged against the stone fireplace. She cringed, sobbing from the pain.

He stood, wrapped his hand in her hair, and yanked her down onto the floor, facedown. His foot jabbed at her side, lifting her whole body into the air with the force of the kick, before she could curl into a ball to protect herself. He lifted his foot to kick her again, but swayed and put a hand to his head. He turned away slightly and lifted the bottle to his lips, drinking deeply.

Jaylin took the opportunity to rise to her hands and knees and edged away from him. As he lowered the bottle, he staggered back. He began muttering to himself, seeming to have forgotten all about Jaylin. He pulled out a chair at the kitchen table and almost missed it as he sat down. He continued to talk to himself unintelligibly and took another swig from the bottle.

Jaylin stood and began inching toward the door, her eyes never leaving Caldor's back. Every time his head jerked up, she froze, heart pounding. Her entire body ached and her face stung from his slap, but she knew she mustn't make a single noise. She bit back a whimper of pain and glanced toward the open door.