48 Desire is...searching

5 years later

The male grunted as he got up from the bed that sank him in. 2 hours of sleep were quite enough for him as he blinked and shook his head to wake himself up. Being insomniac had been the usual for him and he would rather sleep in his office than back at the house.

The tweeting sounds of morning birds outside signalled him that a new day had started.

As of all the days in these 5 lonely years.

"Good morning, beautiful. I miss you."

Seokhoon caressed the photo set next to his bed. The photo of Rona and him together, smiling at each other, embracing each other.

"I hope you are well today."

Placing the photo down with a bitter smile, he got up and went to wash himself up. Arranging himself for another day of work.

The work he had chosen to burden and suffer in.

The work he had chosen over the possible freedom he could have had.

But yes, decisions were made, and regrets were simply a joke.

All suited up, Seokhoon observed himself before the mirror. Tiredness emerged from his expressions but he ignored it. He was like this for the past five years, living like a zombie. Work, rest, work, rest, and it just repeats on.

He fixed his tie and sighed.

"Another day."

He went down to the kitchen and got the coffee maker running as he reheats a muffin he made in the oven.

It wasn't any store bought muffin. It was Rona's recipe . The perfect chocolate hazelnut muffin.

Seokhoon took his years to learn to master the perfect recipe, the perfect formula that Rona had once made. The right amount of chocolate, hazelnuts, and love.

As he drank his black coffee, he took a bite from the muffin. The warm taste of chocolate oozing out on his palette just brings comfort to his troubling heart.

"It's like you're still here." He whispered.

After the small breakfast, Seokhoon was instantly recharged. Living like a new person.

The decor of the house never changed. The same coloured sofa Rona chose, lavender bouquets set around the house, the warm toned lights lit the house.

At the centre of the house, sits a glass case.

A shimmering ring placed inside the glass case.

Rona's ring.

Seokhoon smiled as he passed by the glass case, as if Rona was there with him. He ran upstairs and went into the baby's room, where everything was...still...the same.

He never took it down, and he shall never.

He plumped himself down on the small sofa he once sat with Rona, chatting about all the possibilities they could have, all the happy moments they could have with their children.

Now gone.

But five years was enough to take him out of the pain.

Right now, all he wanted was to remember every memory of Rona.

Until he could find her again...

The first few years when Rona left, Seokhoon could only delve himself in pain and sorrow, crying every day, sulking, blaming, torturing himself with alcohol.