5: Desire is... the offer

4 days before the birthday celebration,

"Chanseok Oppa." Rona ran a few steps to the bright smiling man, standing in front of a gown boutique. He was in the perfect clean, dashing look. White shirt with black suit pants.

"Rona-ah, thank you for coming!" He smiled at Rona like the sunshine, warm, shining.

"Why do you need me here at the gown boutique?"

"Our boss says you must be dressed properly."

"Well," Rona laughed a little sarcastically, "what is his definition of proper?" She was not favouring what was put before her.

"Well..." Chanseok shrugged. "It's not up to us to choose right?" He laughed.

"It is a big and official event. And our Boss's boss, which is President Joo Dan Tae expects all participants to be well dressed for Mrs Joo's birthday celebration."

"Oh... no wonder..." Rona fell to thought. "So I am playing at her birthday?"

"Yes." Chanseok smiled.

Rona gasped. "But... would I make a joke out of myself? Mrs Joo is an astounding pianist herself! I don't even have any..."

"Rona-ah..." Chanseok interrupted. "Stop doubting yourself. Our boss chose you for a reason."

Indeed a reason it was.

On the day, Seokhoon was sure to make his presence known to his father and his young, stepmother.

"Maybe you can befriend her. And teach her how to become a phoenix."

Joo Seokhoon spoke sarcastically.

To the women his father had dated in the past, they would all be intimidated by Joo Seokhoon.

But not Mina.

She knew all too well.

Mina smirked. 

"Maybe I should. She could be a match to you."

Joo Seokhoon caught his attention back to the words Mina spoke, alarmed.

"Min Mina!" Joo Seokhoon clenches his teeth.

"Joo Seokhoon, don't you dare to disrespect your mother." Joo Dan Tae warned his son in a low voice, avoiding the attention of the guests.

"She's a stepmother." Joo Seokhoon replied to his dad. "Plus she is only 3 years older than me."

Joo Seokhoon looked to Chanseok who nodded to him and his two bosses, and left with Seokhoon, into the venue.

"That bastard son." Joo Dan Tae sighed.

Mina pats on Dan Tae gently. "It's alright." She smiled. "At least this year he gave me a gift."

They both let a small chuckle.

Joo Dan Tae looked towards the young girl playing on the side of the stage.

"She looks awfully familiar." Joo Dan Tae spoke. "It's like I have seen her somewhere before."

"She looks very beautiful," Mina observes. "And the music she plays, it...moves the heart."

Rona's music had magical powers. It made Mina recall a lot of her own times in the past where she could freely perform before everyone. She was not a chabeol's wife. She did not need to abide by certain pride woman's rules. She could be free.