73 - The Seal of the Seas

Start from the beginning

The two followed Shaina silently down the road as the drizzle began to fall on Greece to herald the heavy late afternoon rains. The three, wet with rain and in silence, walked up to the Twelve Temples. In every temple that passed, Saori seemed to feel the pains of the battles that had broken out inside. As if inside she was trying to guess in which corner of each temple her friends had been hurt so badly.

If she seemed to resign herself to her role of Goddess acting as a mere aid on the outskirts of the village, she was still the Goddess Athena. And her ascent through the Twelve Temples, though she wore an aged and grimy dress, was received by all the surviving Gold Saints, each kneeling in front of her. Saori gave them a weak smile before moving on, but it was inside each temple that her attention doubled.

At the House of Aries, she looked at the crystal dome that was the first thing she remembered seeing as she came back to life. The destruction of the House of Taurus, the menacing angels of the House of Gemini, the sterility of the House of Cancer, for if before it was like a cemetery, now it seemed to carry the feeling of stepping into a hospital. The fallen colonnades of the House of Leo, the cracked lotus flower in Virgo, the Golden Scale of Libra, a badly cleaned bloodstain in the House of Scorpio, the eternal testament of Aioros in Sagittarius, the deformed statue in Capricorn.

The House of Aquarius, however, seemed far from that white hell in which she found Hyoga beside the body of his Master Camus. The waters from the huge aquarium on the roof still lit the floor, but any remnants of battle or even the ice were gone. Very different from the House of Pisces, which was never restored, such destruction had taken place inside; maybe it wasn't even possible to get it back.

And so Saori, Alice and Shaina climbed the last steps that led into the Temple of Athena, where the Goddess was expected. It had been weeks since she returned to that place.

Shaina led them to a room that was actually Athena's own bedroom

Shaina led them to a room that was actually Athena's own bedroom. It was one floor below the ground floor, where the mythological Athena herself is said to have slept alone in a stone bed. Over time, a wonderful mural with the figure of the Goddess of War was erected in front of this simple bed. It was the same place where the old Camerlengo had welcomed Saori, now many, many days ago.

Master Mayura was sitting there in her wheelchair, and beside her, pacing back and forth, was a very serious man.

"Welcome back, Athena."

"Master Mayura." she replied back.

The impatient man was actually Nicol, who as soon as he saw the girl emerge, immediately froze, as if seeing a ghost. Saori walked past him, who bowed shortly towards her, unable to meet her eyes, and sat down beside Alice on the stone bed.

The man dropped to the ground, kneeling in front of Saori.

"Oh Goddess Athena, I am not worthy of your presence, but I am honored to stand before you."

Saori looked at Mayura further ahead, as she didn't know who that man was kneeling at Alice's feet.

"This is Crater Nicol, a Silver Saint and a personal friend of mine. We can trust him."