Chapter 93 - The Toll Is Taken

Sypha P.O.V.

In the wake of Carmilla's death, the townspeople did their best to treat those who were injured and comfort those who needed it. Her dying scream had all of us truly shaken, some with bleeding eardrums and others who suffered from waves of nausea. Dracula sat out in the square with Lisa, her system taking longer than we'd thought to get over the pain the scream caused. It immediately brought my head around to find Y/N to see if she was in the same situation, but no matter where I looked, I couldn't find her or Alucard, for that matter. Before I could press further my search, Trevor came to my side and guided me away.

The people were grateful to have the help from us all, even the grieving mother of the boy who died was weeping uncontrollably in the corner of the room. I eased away from Trevor to see to her to try to comfort her as best I could, but she just kept holding my hand and attempting to ease my guilt.

"What happened to my son was not of your doing, dear. I don't blame you or anyone for his death other than Carmilla, and you should remember that we all knew what could possibly happen even after everything. We all held no ill will toward you and your friends, so please don't worry on it. I will mourn my son's passing along with everyone else, but I will not ever lay blame at your feet."

I was about to protest, but felt someone walking behind me. I turned my head to see Dracula approaching and wondered what he could possibly be doing now. I then chastised myself for my thoughts. Dracula had done all he could to make sure this town survived Carmilla. He willingly stood by as everyone ingested herbs that could make him incredibly ill or even kill him. He wasn't asked to do that but instead chose to stand at these people's side no matter the amount of pain he felt. The idea that I was slipping back into my thoughts as a monster hunter and Speaker upset me greatly. I had already decided I should look into some of these unknown creatures more closely so the truth of their nature was explained to everyone wishing to know, but here I was letting that old knowledge tint my thinking.

"I'm sorry for your loss, madame," Dracula spoke slowly. "There's nothing I can do to bring him back for you, and I wouldn't dare offer you money as a way to pay for his life. That would be an insult to you and his memory. Instead, I offer you money to help care for yourself in his absence. It will never replace your child or your memories of him, but it will ease your life to continue to remember him." He handed the woman a small purse filled with golden coins, a troubled look on his brow as he did so. The woman stood from her seat and took the purse, but then took steps toward him and threw her arms around him in a surprise embrace.

"Thank you, Lord Tepes," she said softly. "It is not the coins that will give me comfort, but the knowledge that you're looking out for us once again."

"I have to agree," a man said from behind me. "What the Church did to your lady wife never did sit right with me."

"Me either," a chorus of voices could be heard and a fairly confused Dracula turned his head this way and that to look at the faces of the people.

"I'm surprised that the Church was still standing, much less that they lived." The man behind me finished his thought and ended with a grunt.

"We heard about your death, too," another woman mentioned as she came closer. "I didn't want to believe it, but when those soldiers and mercenaries came through, I knew it was true."

"It was a terrible thing they did to you, my lord," another man said, "but I and our town are grateful for your return." The few townspeople who were around the older woman thanked Dracula for everything he did and then took turns offering their condolences as he and I moved away toward Lisa.