chapter 108- nightmarish pt.3

Chapter 108

I sat with Kaio by Meredith's side.

"Meredith? Meredith, I-I don't know if you can hear me, but, today has just been completely downhill. Noah is so worried about you, as am I, and I know, you're probably not-" Tears leak out of my eyes.

"Not going to make it back, But I love you. You're not my biological mother, but I've enjoyed these past few months of knowing you. Noah loves you. He doesn't say any-anything but he does. Everest loves you. You are loved by so many people. I-I don't think its time for you to go yet. And- oh, gosh, you have to be there at our wedding. You have to give Noah away. I know it's not really a custom to do that for the groom, but He needs you there. Don't go just yet, Meredith." My voice comes to a whisper.

"Noah's extremely lucky to have you, Shanaya." Kaio says.

"I-"

"So was Nyr-"

"She's not dead. Don't say she's dead, because Nyra can't be dead." I interrupted him, agitated. I look at him, and he's crying. My face softens.

"Kaio, she'll make it out. Nyra's a fighter. She-"

"Believe me, I know." We both chuckle sadly.

"You know, when we first met you at the club, we thought you were a mafia boss." I confess, hoping to provide some light in the situation. He snorts.

"Really?"

"Yeah. She thought you were checking her out, and she thought you were a creep." Kaio laughs.

"Oh my God." He runs a hand through his hair. I feel tears filling my eyes once more, and I bite my lip to stop myself from crying.

"Shanaya, you don't have to hold back your tears." I sigh, and they roll down my face.

"I-I know. Very few people have seen me cry. It's just- It's just a hard thing for me." I look at him, and he seems to understand.

"I get it."

"Noah's been trying to help me with that a bit." I sniffle, wiping away the wetness on my face.

"Nyra's been trying to get me to open up too."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"You know, when I was younger my grandparents were in and out of the hospital."

"Shanaya-"

"No, you're my friend, too Kaio. It's okay." I give him a sad smile.

"I've seen them with all kinds of tubes poking into their body. Several masks were plastered to their face. We even used to be friends with the people at the fire department because they had episodes so often. But I have never been this affected as I was with Nyra and meredith. Nyra is like my sister Kaio. She is my sister. I've known her since I was four. She's helped me, she and Anvi both have helped me through some excruciatingly difficult times. My parents divorced, I thought she would stop talking to me. She instead checked in on me even more. She- she's one of the most caring people that I know. She has a tough exterior, but she's an incredible person. Her ex was a complete dickhead. I hated him. Anvi and I beat him up. In high school he was a total controlling asshole. I know she told you, but you have no idea. He was a douchebag. You know how much she doubted herself? He was a dick. But she has you now. I'm so happy she has you. I can't even tell you how happy you made her. It's like, almost like the one thing in her life she was missing. I've gotta say. As much as I shipped you both in the beginning, I was skeptical of you. But you're perfect for her. You complement her. And, okay, don't laugh at me for this, but you kind of remind me of those power couples in those mafia books-" He laughs.

"I mean yeah. You both have bad bitch energy. It's frickin amazing." He laughs.

I bring my knees to my chest, and hug them to my chest. I need Nyra to be okay. I really do. If she wasn't there-

"Shanaya, are you okay? You've comforted every single person here." Kaio asks.

"I'm fine. I'll be fine. I just need, I mean Noah's just- he- I just tell him these things." I fumble with my words, and he nods in understanding. Just as we finish talking about Noah, he walks in with food. He puts it down on the chair, and I run to him, needing someone just to hold me. He picks me up, my legs going around his waist, and sits down next to Kaio.

"Love, are you okay? Should we go somewhere to talk?" He asks me whispering in my ear.

"Can you just hold me, today? I know your mom is- you know, but, let's- let's just hold each other, okay, Noah? Kaio, get in here you big goof." I mumble into Noah's shoulder, while he stretches his arms to hug us both. Anvi runs into the room.

"She's out of surgery."