E.O - Stranger pt. 1

I'm putting away some books on the table fixing them for the display at the cafe while the morning rush finally dies down. I work at a cafe slash book store, well I actually manage the cafe. It's family-owned and since my parents are back in our home country I'm taking over until they get back. 

I hear the bell on our door signaling someone walked in, I place the last book on the table and turn around to greet the customer. 

"Hi, welcome back to The Family Bean." I greet the familiar blonde woman with a kind smile which she returns. 

I walk behind the counter at the cash register, "would you like to order the same as last?" 

"I've been here maybe three times in total, today being the third, and you already know my order?" the blonde woman with really dark sunglasses asks. 

"Well I do have a pretty great memory so," I tease back and put in her usual order and she taps her card on the debit machine. I remember her telling me her name was 'Chase' from her very first time ordering so I write it down on her cup before moving down the counter to start making her coffee. 

"Am I really that recognizable that you remember me?" She asks from the other side of the counter. I chuckle at her question, "it's hard not to remember you when you have the same huge sunglasses on your face all the time." 

"Ahh, so that's the giveaway," she says nodding. 

"Well there's that and there's also this positively calm aura you have around you that fills the room up when you walk in," I added and I glance at her quickly noticing the tiny hint of blush on her cheeks. 

"Here you go," I smile handing her the drink and she smiles softly, "thank you." 

I watch her as she turns around and walks over to the other side of the cafe and looks through all the books. Hmm, this is new. She never usually stays, I guess she has a little more time on her hands this morning. 

I grab the tray on the counter and walk around grabbing the empty mugs that have been left on the tables this morning. I keep track of Chase's movements in my peripheral vision as I clean the tables up. There are only three people who are dining in this morning that are on their laptops doing work, Chase being the fourth person. 

I put the tray on the counter and quickly wash my hands before walking over to the bookstore side of the shop, "anything catching your eye?" 

Chase turns away from the bookshelf to face me, "hmm I haven't really picked up anything yet. I'm just observing," she informs me. 

"And how's that observing going?" 

She takes a sip of her drink, "it's going pretty well. I like this place, it's cozy and homey." 

"Thank you, I appreciate that observation since that was my goal when designing this place." I smile softly looking around the cafe. 

"You own this place?" she asks amused making me smile wider. 

"On papers, my parents own this place but it's kinda been my baby since I spend more time here than they do. Plus my parents have been out of the country and they'll continue to be so I've been managing this at the forefront." I share with her as I fix up the books on the table. 

"That's impressive," she says giving me a soft smile which I return, "so you're here every day?" 

I nod answering her question, "I am, except for the weekends. I usually do opening shifts then someone will come to replace me, while I work on other things. Then a couple of nights of the week I try to come back to close the shop." 

"I'm sensing that you love being hands-on at your job," she states before taking a sip from her drink. 

"Well aren't you just so observant," I tease her making her chuckle which brings warmth in me, "I very much do. I love being hands-on and I just, as I said, this shop has been my baby and I love it so much." 

"And you're passionate," she points out, "I like that." 

"You like that I'm hands-on at my job or?" I ask 

"I mean I like that too, but what I meant is that I like that you're a passionate person Y/n," the way she just said my name took my breathe away. 

Jeez Y/n, get a grip. 

Before I can say anything someone walks into the shop catching both Chase and I's attention, "better get back to work," Chase chuckles as she turns back to face the bookshelf. 

I shake my head and bite my bottom lip as I make my way behind the counter to help the customer. After the customer leaves, I pick up the tray that's filled with mugs that I left on the counter and bring it out at the back putting them in the sink. 

I take a deep breath before I make my way back outside, I look across the room to see Chase picking up a book and reading the back of it. 

I smile at her choice of book and decided to not go over to her, instead, I make my way where all the pastries are and start filling in the case with fresh ones. 

I notice Chase walking closer to me and see that she stopped right in front of the case, "will you be here tonight?" 

I look up smiling at her, "yes, I will be here tonight." 

"I guess I'll see you then," she states. Hmm, so she's coming back? Huh. 

"I guess so," I pause before continuing, "here, take one. It's fresh." 

I take one of the fresh pastries and put it in a bag for her, "it's on the house. It's one of the favorites actually." 

She smiles taking the bag, "I'll see you later Y/n." She waves before turning around and walking out of the shop. 

I hate that Chase never takes off her sunglasses since I do want to see her eyes plus it's weird because I can never tell if she is looking at me. But even though her sunglasses are covering almost half her face, you can still see how beautiful she is. 

Am I actually crushing on a complete stranger? What kind of novel love story am I trying to live here? 

I shake my head and continue with my work for the day, trying to not think about the stranger that I may or may not be crushing on.