Even my dad didn't talk like that, and he was 48. 

I turned another corner into Joe's house and pulled the gear. I got out of the car and rang his doorbell. It opened about a second after, and Joe slid himself out from the small gap. 

A smile was on his face.

"Hey, man, are we ready?" He said, shuffling through his wallet. 

I frowned at it, "What's that for?" I asked, making him look up at me. 

"This? This is my wallet, and I keep it with me wherever I go because I always take it with me," he said, going into a full explanation.

I palmed my face, "OK, yeah, I got it, but we won't need it because I'm going house hunting," I told him. 

Joe pressed his lips together, "What why do you need another house? Are the paparazzi getting a little too invading?"

I chuckled, shaking my head, "No, I actually didn't want to move out, some guy told me I didn't own it anymore," I told him, keeping away some of the personal feelings I really had before so Joe didn't question. 

But he did anyway, "What, why? Is that even legal? Did you do something bad or—"

"I didn't do anything, dude," I said, rolling my eyes. "Let's just go, I have to pick up Eddie by 10," I said, making my way to the car and getting in. 

Joe got in the passenger seat, "Who's Eddie?"

"A real estate agent. He's supposed to help me find a house," I said, driving out onto the streets. 

Joe nodded thoughtfully, "I always liked house hunting. I like interior design. Can I design your house for you?" He asked, shooting me a grin.

I tried to avoid it by chuckling, "I don't know, sure. But I gotta be there to approve," I said, giving him an eye. 

Joe nodded, "Course. I'll be extra self-less. It's your house, after all. Not mine. Even though I think we both have similar taste in houses, so... I don't think it'll be a problem."

I smiled and checked my messages. Eddie had just shared his location with me. I smiled seeing that I was only three blocks away from the destination.

"The guy lives in a private residence, wow," Joe said, as he checked my phone. 

I gave him a glare, "Put down my phone," I snarled. Joe gave me an annoyed look, "Chill, geez, just saying. What does Eddie do? Is he like, rich?"

"I bet he's rich," I said, pulling in front of a huge gate. I think it was motion censored because the minute I drove up to it, a light glowed green, and Eddie's voice boomed. 

"Hey, Nick, you here? I'll be down in a second. Veronica will be waiting at a coffee shop downtown, and we'll be picking her up."

I nodded and the intercom stopped buzzing. 

After a minute, Eddie drove down the driveway and stopped right next to my car, rolling down his window. 

I rolled down Joe's window, and Eddie grinned, "Hey, my name's Eddie, nice to meet you," He said to Joe, who nodded, "Yeah, Nick told me. I'm Joe, by the way, nice to meet you, too."

Eddie nodded, and put on his shades, "I would be signaling a race, but we're kind of driving in a neighborhood full of kids, and I don't want to make a kid-ish impression of myself," he said, making Joe and I laugh. 

"We race sometimes, too," Joe joked, making Eddie widen his eyes, "You do?"

"No," Joe said truthfully, making Eddie laugh, "Great, you made me feel so good for about a second there," he said. 

I nodded and looked down at my fingers, "I think we should go now. I have a sick girlfriend back home, she's not feeling so good."

Eddie nodded, a concerned look on his face, "Of course, I'm sorry, we should be off right now."

* * *

"Who do you think this Veronica girl is?" Joe asked, turning to me. 

I pulled the gear and watched Eddie rush into the coffee shop. "Oh, I forgot to tell you; it's his best friend. I think maybe more unless he's gay, but I don't think he's gay," I said, not really caring about what I was saying because I was looking into the tinted glass of the cafe.

Joe squinted, "Who's that— is that who I think it is?" he said, making me look. 

"Who're you talking about?" I said, leaning down. Joe turned to me quickly, "That— her, the girl with the blonde hair. Isn't that—" 

"Hailey?" I said, guessing.

"Yes, and that—" Hailey and another blonde girl came out with Eddie, making Joe gasp under his breath and sink into his seat. 

I gave him a weird look, "Dude, you OK?"

"Yeah— yeah, I'm good, but that girl— that girl's the girl that was seducing me that night in Verdant— what's she doing with Hailey?" He suddenly wondered, making me squint. 

"That's Hailey's cousin, dipshit, are you sure she was the one that—"

"Yeah, she hangs out with Kendall a lot," Joe said, scrunching up his nose. I gave him a weird look, "Dude, what're you even saying? Kendall knows her?"

"Yeah, I bet," Joe said, making me frown again. 

"Dude! Are you talking about Veron—"

"No, about Hailey!"

"Well, HELL YES they hang out, they're like best friends!" I snapped, making him rub his forehead. 

I sighed, "If you have a thing with Veronica, don't come. You're mad at her, aren't you?"

"Yeah, and you should be mad, too!"

I frowned, "Why should I be mad?"

"Because you've just been played. We've both been played."

I slumped back into my chair and stared at Joe. 

He couldn't be playing a joke because his facial expression showed nothing of the sort. I knew when he was lying, and this was one time when he was. His face was straight, convincing in some ways.

"By who?" I breathed in frustration.

Joe gulped, "Don't be mad at me, or think that I'm trying to ruin anything for you—"

"JUST TELL ME WHO IT IS GODDAMIT!"

"Kendall."

— — — 

Well, Iḿ sorry for the long update. I give you this chapter, for now, I'm currently working on the next one, right after I publish this one, so... look up for that. 

I hope you're having a nice day; what do you think Joe's on about? Ruining Nick's relationship with who...? 

Can't wait for you guys to find out. I'm picking up trashed and recycled stuff for my school...

P.S if you have no idea what's going on, I'll show you a bit of this part in the book;

S if you have no idea what's going on, I'll show you a bit of this part in the book;