34 - Labyrinths of the Mind

Start from the beginning

He didn't flinch, but for the first time Saori realized that on the man's right hand there was something that his dark cassock had hidden: a golden staff, which he presented with both hands before her.

"This is Niké." he said. "The Victory that has always been in Athena's right hand."

And he knelt again, offering the staff to Saori.

She took it in her right hand without being afraid, as for the first time in there she felt her huge cosmos inside of her. That felt right. It was supposed to be. He spoke the truth.

Staff in hand, she looked again at the man, who remained kneeling in front of her. Without looking back at her, his voice spoke again in that darkness, but this time it was a voice trembling with fear.

"Athena. Use your staff to vanquish the evil that has taken roots in your Sanctuary."

He rose quickly, looking into her eyes. When before they were kind and pure, now they carried a merciful despair; from one of his eyes, as Saori saw, tears were running down his face.

"It's coming." said the man, and from the back of that hall, Saori saw the lights slowly go out, one by one, as the torches of the columns reached him. "Listen to me, Athena. Use your staff to vanquish that evil!"

And the last thing she saw was his eyes crying, begging for mercy.

"Please, Athena."

And more she didn't see, because she had been swallowed by a universe.

An array of stars and galaxies colliding in spaces distorted by an impossible sensation of the absolute absence of time. There were no columns, there was no mural, the red carpet, or the man in the black cassock.

There was only her, her dress and her staff wandering the cosmos.

Just as there were all the stars and galaxies around her. Planets, loves and despairs.

"Where's the girl?" asked Shaina's voice

Hyoga and Shun were carrying Seiya unconscious body on their shoulders for a more open path when they were stopped by Shaina, and behind her came Crow Jamian. The Cygnus Saint left Shun carrying his friend and stood before them in case he had to fight.

"Athena is not here." Hyoga spoke.

Shaina let out her laugh.

"You're all delusional. Leave Seiya here and I'll let you live for today." she said.

"What are you talking about, Shaina? We must punish them all!"

"Shut up, Jamian!" she snapped.

"There's nothing to worry about, as we won't let you take Seiya or any of us."

Hyoga wore his sacred Cygnus Cloth and made his icy cosmos burn in front of her. Shaina looked him hard in the eyes and her Silver Cloth also lit up with her electrifying cosmos.