39. Suprising mix of nice and mean

Start from the beginning

"Uhm..well.."

I didnt know how to respond to a straightforward question like that. Sizz-lorr wasted no time in cutting right to the chase, taking a small step forward and putting pressure on me to answer.

"I'm sorry, but I cant allow him to leave. Zim was assigned to me and I intend on fulfilling that assignment." He explained to me in a suprisingly kind tone in comparison to how he yelled at Zim earlier.

"But...hes my friend. Isnt there anything I can do to help him?" I trailed off looking up at Sizz-lorr with a nervous grimance and small gesture toward Zims general direction.

The large irken shook his head with a deep sigh, claiming that there was nothing I could really do to change his mind or to get Zim out of that situation. He also explained that the security system would make Zim explode if ever he attempted to leave the perimeter of the building.

It was a brutal method, but Sizz-lorr had certainly thought this through. He must've been well informed on Zims destructive nature. Even I could admit he is difficult to handle.

"Well, If Zim cant leave...can I stay?" I asked, unsure of my own words.

The Irken knew what I was implying, as I had hoped. But I wasn't really sure if I wanted to start working for him, knowing how Zim was treated in both his montage video as well as the last few minutes when Sizz-lorr entered the room.

But my resolve hardened, knowing that being with Zim was the most important thing to me.

"I suppose I could take you on as an employee. But are you sure? Working here can be pretty tough, especially during the foodening" he warned, leaning down towards me and pointing.

I nodded.

Present time

A hovering tray floated above my head, carrying the content of the food that the customer had just ordered. It flew to their table and landed in front of them with no issues.

But it got boring very quickly. The orders had begun to die down and no one new had entered to order food and it seemed counterproductive to just stand there doing nothing.

I turned to face the wall behind me and peered through the small gap leading to the kitchen.

Inside was Zim, who had just finished up the last order and sent it to the customer. He didnt take long to notice me, walking over and peering through.

"Any ideas for how to get out of here, yet?" I wondered aloud, leaning my arms against the base of the wall.

The irken shrugged, heavy bags beginning to form under his eyes and the large amount of stress began to weigh on him.

"You look tired, Zim" I stated, cupping his face in my hand whilst rubbing his cheek gently with my thumb.

He moved away as Sizz-lorr entered, carrying some pots and pans to put in one of the cupboards. Zims eyes hardened, as did his resolve, when he turned to face Sizz-lorr and marched towards him.

"Sizz-lorr? Theres only-"

"What did you call me!?!" Interrupted the manager, turning to face Zim with a hard glare.

Zim flinched a little, backing away from the larger alien in fear.

"Eh...my apologise, my FRYLORD!" He emphasized, "But theres only one day left until the foodening begins! I must return to my mission, before it's too late!"

I had briefly discovered the meaning of the foodening just yesterday, as Sizz-lorr was wondering who, besides Zim, should remain on foodcourtia for the foodening.