Chapter 71

Kiara:
"Do you realize what you're saying Aguilar?" Caterina asked Aguilar who was looking at her with a raised eyebrow.

"Yes, I do Caterina, you and Ezio can't fight. You will end up dying in the middle of this, and neither me or Kiara would want to handle your loss" Aguilar said stating a fact. It was true, most of the assassins weren't immune, the effects of the flare were showing on a lot of them and even the medication we were giving them weren't helping at times.

"No! We will not leave your sides..."

"He is right Caterina" I said stopping her rant "Aguilar may not be immune, but he hasn't caught the flare, his body has a gene to defect it. You, Ezio, Federico, most of you here are infected. I cannot risk losing any of you. Especially when I don't have anything to help you with"

"We can help you reach as far as we can..."

"Then what? If you decide to leave, as assassins, you would be dangerous out on the loose as cranks. As my family and friends, how am I to find you if we manage to find a cure? You may want to help, but I need to think with reason and NOT emotion Caterina" I said looking at the girl who I grew up with, I knew where she was coming from. We had never left one another's side except when I entered the maze, and even then she wasn't very thrilled about me doing so.

"So, what are we supposed to do? Let you go on this suicide mission in hope that you find the cure?" Caterina asked. Ezio and Federico were quiet as they listened to our words "are we supposed to wait in fear to hear of your death or injury?"

"You will listen to me as a princess, and this is an order, I am not asking Caterina" I said looking at her. I did not like playing boss or princess, but there were times where I HAD to do so, and this was one of them. If I didn't, then I might be risking the lives of my friends and family, the thing was, they didn't even realize that.

"So, now you're pulling the princess card?" Ezio asked glaring at me.

"I am keeping you safe Ezio, and if you decide to be as dumb as not to understand that, then you and me are going to be having a little problem" I said glaring at my brother who raised an eyebrow at me.

"I do not need you to keep me safe. In case you haven't noticed, we've been the ones keeping YOU safe for a while now. I don't need you doing anything for me" Ezio said and I raised an eyebrow at him. Taking a step toward him, I took his hand in mine and raised his sleeve revealing the veins on his arm making him frown at me.

"You see why I need to keep you safe Ezio? I don't want to end up losing you" I said looking my big brother in the eye, his blue eyes met my brown ones before he wrapped his arms around my neck and hugged me tightly "I promise to try and find a way out of this, but I can't risk thinking that I'd be losing you in the process"

"Well, what do you plan on doing?" Ezio asked pulling away from the hug to look me in the eye. I couldn't imagine not seeing him everyday. We had been in the maze together for so long that us not being around one another, just the thought of it, was hard. It was hard enough when we were at WICKED, and I knew that he was safe watching us somewhere, but now, I didn't know when would be the next time I see the twat.

"For starters we need to get the gladers settled. I know Newt isn't going to like this, but I'll need to go to the palace" I said looking at Aguilar who nodded. He was the only one who would be coming with me, and if you ask me why? I'd give you one answer.

My life was on the line for running away from the palace, I didn't want the gladers to be there if things were to turn upside down.

"Your mother would be furious Kiara"

"I have no other option Ezio, I need to know what they've done to the people, how far everything was going. There were other kids in danger, a lot were immune, I need to know if they managed to find a cure, if Ava did what she promised..."

"She will kill you"

"That is why I need you to keep this from Newt. If he finds out what I'm doing..." I didn't need to finish the sentence for my brother to understand what I was to say. He witnessed what I saw Newt do years back, and I was not going to afford thinking of a possibility like that again.

"We'll be waiting for your return princess"

Let's hope that I do return from this...