Fifty Eight • A Late Night

"Well that's too bad."

• • •

Dazai laughs at that, because in that aspect, he's won. Chuuya hardly has anything on him—if anything, Dazai has more on him. Which is because Chuuya's a lightweight and anything embarrassing Dazai has done with Chuuya is later forgotten.

So yeah, Dazai's got a point.

Okay, maybe he's just trying to make himself feel better by making it some game like—

Oda: 1

Dazai: 0

With a point system that won't register the fact that Dazai—in his own world—has one point too. The game in his own mind is telling him to fuck off, this day couldn't possibly get any better.

"One day, I'll make a whole journal of your amazing moments, Dazai," Oda says, taking a sip from his glass. "I swear to—" He didn't think you were going to cut him off, but at the same time, he doesn't think it's all that surprising. He bets you and Oda were scheming against him the whole time he was playing a mini-game in his head. "That would be amazing, Oda," you say.

"Thank you, [Y/N], you'll get the first copy," Oda laughs. "Nope!" Dazai interferes, whipping his head around to look at both of you. "Come on, Dazai, you don't want to see your friend do something that he enjoys?" You ask, grabbing his hand and giving it a gentle squeeze.

Once again, this was unfair—

He groans, pouting like a kid—but he still manages to look painfully good when he brings your hand up and presses a small kiss to it. "I hate you both," he mumbles. "Yeah, sure you do," you say, and Oda rolls his eyes at him. And his mouth opens to speak again—

"Oh, also, Dazai." But Oda interrupts.

Oda, a real saviour. An absolute angel to Dazai at this moment—because he was about to stupidly say, 'yeah, I love you more.' Which he thankfully didn't. He wants it to be a little more special, definitely not in a bar with a friend. He wants you two to be alone—which is ironic since you two stay in the same room—but he doesn't want it to be so extravagant like he's proposing or something.

But, that obviously doesn't mean that his mind doesn't scream 'I love you' every time he sees you.

Oda continues talking, "Happy early birthday, Dazai. I'm not sure if I'll make it that day." Meaning he has something to do with work on that exact day. Which fucking sucks, but it doesn't bother Dazai as much as one would think it would. "That's okay, and thank you."

"And happy early birthday to you too, [Y/N], I hope you two have a good day— in advance," Oda continues, eyes meeting yours, followed by a soft smile. "Thank you, Oda," you say. That's everyone's cue to start packing up, it is somewhat late after all.

You go near the exit a little quicker than Oda and Dazai, and you see Dazai leaning in to say something to Oda.

"Oh, you bet we'll have a good day," Dazai says, laughing at the way Oda's face turns from shock to concern. "Yeah, you," Oda says, pointing at Dazai, "keep your little dreams to yourself."

Dazai chuckles as he walks towards the exit with Oda. And it's like the rain was planned just for this day, because the first time he ever said that he loved you was—Dazai moves to the exact spot he was standing that day—

Here.

"Goodbye, Dazai, [Y/N]," Oda nods before he leaves, waving goodbye to you two as Dazai enthusiastically waves back at him. Thankfully, the rain is only a light drizzle. He takes your hand in his, rubbing his thumb against yours before starting to walk back to his room.

It isn't too long of a walk, he could've called someone to pick them up, but he thinks of this as simply spending time with you. So if anything, the walk back is fun, and to your surprise, Tachihara and Chuuya are at the entrance too. "Oh, where'd you two go?" Chuuya asks. Tachihara's eyes glance down at you still holding hands with Dazai. "Bar Lupin," Dazai answers, "Odasaku wanted to meet. Where'd you guys go?"

"We went to the movies," Chuuya explains, "and we got the wrong tickets? But we still watched the movie." Tachihara's face turns a little pink out of embarrassment. Chuuya whispers, "a princess movie—which is now Tachihara's favourite movie."

"You've got amazing taste," you say, laughing at the way Chuuya was making fun of him. "Don't act like you weren't paying attention the whole time, Chuuya," Tachihara retorts. "Yeah, yeah—" Chuuya says, acting like he wasn't paying attention the whole time. He was just making sure they didn't waste their money, right?

He's only telling himself that.

Tachihara rolls his eyes at that, the smile not leaving his face, "Get inside already." And once Chuuya and Tachihara are inside the building, Dazai turns to face you. "Want me to carry you in like a princess?" You punch him in the arm for that. "Okay—okay, kidding!"

Once inside his room, changed into fresh, more comfortable clothes, Dazai sits on the bed next to you. His finger lays on your jaw, turning it so that you're facing him. "Can I kiss you?" He asks. "God, why do you keep asking—yes, yes you can," you reply. "Well," Dazai chuckles, "it's like, if you ask someone for tea, and they say no. You don't pour tea down their throat, right? Even if they've said yes to tea before."

Well, he does have a point there.

"True, but, I'm your girlfriend, and I'm okay with it whenever—if I'm not, I'll tell you," you reply, leaning into the hand that's now cupping your cheek. Dazai inhales sharply, as if he's nervous about something. He exhales as he whispers a small, "okay."

And then his lips meet yours in the softest kiss yet.

A/N: I was basically figuring out my major plot points in this story because I thought I was close to finishing. all until I realized that it's not ending as soon as I expected it to? which /is/ good, but I just didn't expect it to be this long.