Fifty Six • Keeping In Contact

"As long as I'm with you."

• • •

It takes him a while to fall asleep, but you repeatedly kiss him on the forehead as reassurance. When his eyes do flutter shut, at a very late time, you rub his back gently as you fall asleep yourself. Seeing him in his sleep—he looks so at peace, as if he's been wanting to stay asleep forever.

The next morning falls easily, the lack of sleep easily makes you have the urge to stay in bed when your body wakes up on its own. You reach your arms out to pull Dazai towards you, but there's no one beside you. He must've gotten up, right?

Dazai eventually walks out of the bathroom, picking up the glass of water that he left on the side and bringing it to you. "Good morning," he says, handing you the glass. You only bury yourself under the blanket further, not ready to wake up just yet. "Come on," the brunette says, trying to convince you to get out. Instead, you take the glass from him and put it to the side, taking his hand and making him fall onto the bed beside you.

"[Y/N]," he whines, hair still a little damp. "Stay in bed," you say, almost like it's some sort of command. "I would love to," he starts, kissing your forehead, "but I've already showered."

"...So?"

"So, you have to get up too," he says, trying to get off the bed. His phone vibrates in his pocket. He takes it out, looking at the notification.

│Oda: <Do you want to meet today? I'm free.>

Dazai smiles down at his phone. How could he possibly say no to that?

│Dazai: <I'm always free! Usual time?>

│Oda: <Yeah. Also, tell [Y/N] to come too, but only a little while after.>

His suspicions grow, but he doesn't think anything of it.

│Dazai: <Okay, I'll see you then :)>

│Oda: <:)>

And seeing Oda type smiley faces is the most adorable thing in the entire world. Dazai can't even imagine his face when he types them out.

"What kind of logic is that?" You argue, still not bothering to get up. "Hmm? Your logic," he says, leaning down playfully. "Also, we're gonna meet Odasaku today," he adds on. "We? That's new," you say, starting to get up from the bed. He nods, a stupid boyish grin on his face.

It's also a lot to process because Dazai's acting so normal today, even after what happened last night. At this point, you both know that asking won't make a very long way, and you don't want to force him to talk either—

Night falls quickly, there wasn't much to do today anyway—Chuuya hung out with Tachihara today, and you and Dazai have...

Been doing everything good.

"I'm gonna go," he announces, "I'll text you when you should come." It makes sense—Oda and Dazai wanted to talk alone for the first time since Oda got his new job. It doesn't feel much different either, almost like Oda had never left to begin with.

Dazai opens the door to the bar, and his eyes land on the familiar reddish hair. "Odasaku!" He calls, smiling brightly at the man who's now spinning on the barstool to face him. Oda smiles, "Dazai."

He takes his seat next to Oda, sitting like they normally do—like they always do. "My regular," Dazai tells the bartender, giving him a hand signal that tells him to wait a little while before getting the drinks. He turns so that he's facing Oda again. "How's your job?" Oda sighs, "It's...good, I've somehow already shown my writing prompt and everything, and they like the idea."

Wow, that's really good, and incredibly fast. High-fives for Oda.

"That's good, what's your idea?" Dazai asks, curiosity gets the best of him. "That's a secret. You'll have to wait until it's all published to know," Oda replies, laughing at the way Dazai's eyes widen in excitement. "You've already—" Dazai's smile only gets bigger, "—did you show some of your works?"

"I did, and they said they liked the writing style," Oda explains, "I didn't think it'd all be moving so fast— I don't understand how it's moving so fast but, I think it'll take me a few months to finish it all."

"That's amazing. I'm glad you're getting to do what you love."

Well, Oda almost says— you could do what you love. But that might be weird to say—with the assumption that Dazai loves you, and—

God he should just shut up.

"Yeah," Oda says, trying to make his brain stop. "Apparently that coffee shop you pointed out has a group of skill users on their upper floors. The Armed Detective Agency, was it? Anyway," Oda brings his hands out on the table, gesturing to them as he speaks. "I bumped into one of the members, Akutagawa Ryunosuke. Good guy, a little edgy looking, but yeah." Dazai hums, "You're that close to a group of people that are now considered enemies?"

"It's not going to be anything like that," Oda says, "also, has Mori said anything?"

"No," Dazai replies, and he doesn't sound upset about it at all, "I think he was going to get rid of you soon anyway." Oda's eyes widen, because, well, Dazai's almost never wrong. What exactly was Mori planning? Character development for Dazai? Yeah, right.

"How're the orphans? And have you made any new friends at the place you work?" Dazai changes the topic, not waiting for any sort of answer from Oda. "They're good, happy that I'm around more," Oda replies, a little glad that Dazai did change the topic, "and no, I haven't. I'm not really looking for new friends there anyway. A little talk while drinking coffee? Maybe."

"Odasaku," Dazai laughs. "I'm not an expert but, you're probably gonna want to make friends there."

"I already have one good friend," Oda starts, staring at the bar table.

"Why would I need more?"