Chapter 40 - After the incident

Both companies dismissed the dating news as baseless rumor through a press conference, where multiple reporters were let down by their statement.

People in social media doubted what they said due to the amount of evidence that had spread, but there's not much they could do if they clarified it as so. Some fans were even defending them by saying that it could be pictures taken from when they were shooting that got cut during production, so it's a given that they would act so close with each other.

The war soon died out, but the news would still be living deep inside their minds, hoping that they would one day get a clear explanation from the couple involved.

A month has passed by since the incident, and Y/N was hoping that he'd be able to distract his mind away from Yuri. Turns out it wasn't as easy as he thought it would be.

It became a daily thing for him to come out at night and have a walk through the neighborhood, taking a breather after a whole day of overthinking Yuri's well-being.

And today was no exception. The only difference from the others is that it's earlier than the usual time.

"I'll be going out." He said to the other members.

"Bring me some soda while you're at it, hyung." Jeongin shouted, currently playing a game on his phone. Chan smacked him on the head, making him grunt.

"Sure." Y/N replied, before leaving the dorm.

"Ya. What's wrong with you?" Chan asked.

"What? I just asked him to buy me a drink on the way home. Can't I have a soda once in a while?"

"At least show him that you're worried about his condition. It's been happening for weeks, and I don't think he's going to stop."

"Well I can't, so might as well just let him be." He answered, continuing his game.

" *sigh* I wish I could do something about this. It sucks that I can't help him with this kind of stuff. I don't have any experience with romance."

Jeongin decided to stop, and sat up on the sofa.

"You know, you don't have to have knowledge about love to help him. Just ask him to go hang out, or play with you. Whatever it takes to get his mind off of her."

"He would've been fine by now had your idea worked. I tried it before, and he's still acting like it's the end of the world."

"Well... that just shows how much he loves her. I know it sucks, but we can't help it. I feel like the news will rise up once again if we were to be in the same building as them."

"Yeah... I know... I just hope he'll be able to get over it soon."

________

"What a torture..." Y/N spoke to himself, kicking a rock he spotted by the side of the road.

"I know I have a plan but... I don't even know when's the right time to do it."

He opened his phone, going through the menus eventually reaching Yuri's contact.

"...no. I shouldn't." Just then, a phone call showed up on his phone as he answered.

"Y/N? Where are you?" It was Changmin's voice.

"I'm just taking a walk hyung. As usual, you know."

"Oh. Well uh... do you mind if I ask you to come to the company building now? I have a job that I need to discuss with you."

"Ah. Sure, hyung. I'll be heading there now. Do you need anything? Coffee, perhaps?"

"If you're buying one, might as well."

"Okay."

Time skip

"How've you been feeling, Y/N?" Changmin asked, after Y/N arrived by the front lobby. He took a cup from one of his hands, taking a sip out of the now warm coffee.

"Hyung. Cut the small talks. You know how I'm feeling now, don't you?"

"Sorry. Was just thinking that you might"ve gotten better somehow. You must've loved her a lot for you to act this way after a month."

"I guess... So, what is it that you want to talk about? You don't usually call me for meetings."

"You'll see soon."

Changmin led him to a meeting room where there was a girl already waiting inside, with her back turned to them. Y/N wondered who it could be, when she turned around and greeted the two.

 Y/N wondered who it could be, when she turned around and greeted the two

"Hello, nice to meet you. I'm Cho Miyeon." She extended her hand.

"N-Nice to meet you, Miyeon-ssi. I'm Kim Y/N." He shook her hand.

"Oh I already know about you, Y/N. I'm a fan of your group. Also you can call me by noona." She gave a soft smile, making Y/N's heart thump.

"Me too. I love your latest comeback, Miyeon-noona."

"Okay, introduction's over. You two can talk about those once we've finished our goal for today."

"Right." Miyeon nodded in agreement.

"What's this about, hyung?"

"You see,Y/N. You've been tasked to perform a duet with Miyeon-ssi here."

"W-With me?"

"Yes. If it makes you happier, she's the one who chose you. She was given a choice to choose a partner to duet with, and she chose you." He emphasized, hoping his message got across.

"It's a pleasure to be chosen, noona. But are you really fine with me? I mean, there are others who have better vocals than me."

"Of course, Y/N. I've already given it some thoughts, and I think that your voice would be the one that fits mine the most. That's why I chose you."

"Huh... what song will we perform then?"

"There are a few song choices that I've picked, but first, I need to ask you this question. Are you willing to do this duet with me?"

"Of course! I'd be glad to do so, noona."

_________

"Okay. Let's take a break." Eunbi dismissed the training session, after noticing that Yuri's been acting off for a while. It's not the first time Eunbi has noticed this, but it's been happening ever since... that day.

Yuri walked to a corner and rested herself, leaning towards the glass as she took a sip of the water bottle.

"Ya. Are you still thinking about him?" Chaeyeon approached her.

"Hm? What do you mean, unnie?" Yuri feigned ignorance.

"You know what I'm talking about. You're not acting like your usual self, Yuri-ah. Even Eunbi-unnie noticed. She's worried about you, you know."

"But I can't help it, unnie. Wouldn't you be the same as I am if you broke up like that? We never wanted to separate, yet we did."

"Yuri-ah, remember. He did it because of your future, also his. And we can't risk you guys dating in secret because there would be fans watching us closely. I'm sure there are fans outside our building now looking for clues about the relationship."

"I know... I just hope that despite the way we broke up, he'll still come back to me in the future. I don't care if it takes a long time, I just need some kind of assurance that he'll do so."

"Only time can tell, Yuri-ah."