Special Chapter #2

Throwback to the College Days with Florence in the Philippines

"Hey! That's my chocolate!" Florence frowned when I grabbed and stuffed my mouth with the Cadbury Dairy Milk chocolate which was resting on top of the center table in their living room.

Both Florence's parents are out today and they both know that every Friday during exams, we have a   sleepover to relax ourselves from an information overload. Tonight is also a movie slash party night for us.

As a gentleman and a bestfriend who has been loving her secretly, I let her take over the remote most of the time. I just love seeing her happy.

But when it comes to chocolates, it is a weakness which we will both launch a war on. I must have inherited Mom's sweet tooth since we spent every dime during her travels to buy chocolates from different countries.

I grinned at Florence and stuck out my tongue. Anyone who can see us will assume we are either siblings or a couple. I would just cringe just thinking about her as a sister.

I mean, duh? I have been keeping an eye on the guys who have been attempting to get her attention in the university and I will just let them take her away from me? No way!

Seeing her forlorn, puppy eyes, I rolled my eyes and broke the chocolate in a half and handed it to her while I chomped down my share. We were watching Lucifer Season 5 while devouring this delicious sweet in front of us.

"Thank you, Patrick Star!" She grinned and hugged me.

If there is one thing I wished right now is for her to stop breaking my neck. She has this mannerism that once she gets too excited or too happy, she will clung either to your neck or arms until you give in to her demands. Yes, she's awfully cute that way.

"Alright! Quit it. I can't breathe! Tap out!" I exclaimed and patted her shoulder.

"Sorry!" She pulled away and just like that, she continued to put her attention to the series.

I sighed inwardly. God knows how much I am controlling myself not to admit to her how I felt. I was scared that this friendship will go to waste.

Fast forward to the week of Florence's flight...

"When are you gonna confess to her?" My cousin, Gerry, asked me while we were hanging out in the family house.

I shook my head. I still hasn't found the courage to admit my feelings to her.

"I don't know. I am afraid to lose her by saying what I felt." I said as I stared at the wall.

Gerry sighed and patted my shoulder. "Oh boy! Have courage! Who knows? Maybe she's just waiting for you to open up?"

"But what if she isn't?" Came our cousin's, Elmer, voice as he entered the entertainment room. "Yo, bro! Zup!"

We bumped fists at each other and he joined us as we listened to R&B songs.

"What were you guys talking about?" He asked again.

"Our cousin, Patrick, was afraid to let her bestfriend know that he loves her." Gerry filled him in and Elmer only chuckled.

"Man up! Be brave to accept her rejections! By then, you'll know what she really feels about you." Elmer said.

"Really helpful, dude." Gerry said rolling his eyes. "Here I am, encouraging him and you're ruining the moment."

"What? I'm just preparing him for the worst." Elmer defended himself. He turned to me and said, "when you do something, always be ready to face the consequences and accept them. You are already a grown up man, Pat! You can do it! There are still many fishes in the sea!"

Yeah. But there is only one her.

I managed a tight smile. It's now or never. I have to tell her soon. Before she leave for Italy.

Flashback to his highschool days and fast forward to Florence's departure...

"Hey! I missed you!" I woke up to the cheerful voice of Ysabelle Solomon when she visited me in my house.

I smiled and pulled her to lie down on my bed with me.

"Heey! Stop! Stop!" She exclaimed as I began tickling her.

Ysabelle is my best friend and has been my constant companion ever since. We share so many things in common and I became close to her when I transferred in their school.

Every weekends, we would be playing mind games like scrabble and word factory. For her, it's important to get our minds work up every time. It also aids our memory.

So we did our usual routine and I have to walk her home. We grew even closer through highschool until I met and fell in love with Tricia Lawyer.

I don't know what happened but we grew apart as I began spending time with Tricia. She was my first love. My first girlfriend.

After some time, before college, we broke up and she flew to the States. I entered college and met Florence.
Instantly we became friends and after dealing with my heartache, I fell for her unknowingly. I just confirmed my feelings when I knew that I will be losing her to Italy to work after graduation.

I was even more astonished when I knew that she is close with Ysabelle. Ysabelle who was my bestfriend in highschool whom I grew apart with.

"Take care of each other, you guys." Those were Florence's words before she left us at the airport.

Little did I knew that I will indeed be caring for Ysabelle more than I expected.

🇯🇵🇯🇵🇯🇵

Get to know more about Patrick and Ysabelle's story in the next book: Until Then, Japan!

It is already posted in my account! 🤗💕