Sixteen

I was about to yawn loudly when I glanced at the calendar and saw that I only have three more days left before I familiarized myself with my transportation to my workplace

I rushed downstairs and was greeted with Valerie who was sitting at her usual spot doing her usual thing: drawing.

"Hello, Valerie." I greeted her and she smiled at me. "Have you had your breakfast?"

Valerie nodded without looking at me. For people who doesn't personally know her, it may look rude but since I know how she is, I didn't bother to mind it.

I headed to the kitchen and I made myself some breakfast before I told her that I'll be getting my laptop in my bedroom to work at the living area with her.

I double-checked the things which I will be needing before I report to work at Casa della Moda.

I was hired as their junior fashion designer which immediately made me thrilled to officially start working as soon as possible.

Casa della Moda is situated at Florence, Italy. Florence is only 105 miles away from Cinque Terre where we are residing.

By private car, it will take me one and a half hours to two and a half.

It was a good thing that I learned how to drive even before I got here. However, I don't think I can do it because I am not familiar with the roads and rulings in this country.

An old, childhood friend of Dad told him about an apartment which he owned near Florence so that I won't be troubled thinking if I will get to work late or not.

According to Uncle Peter, his nephew was there almost every week to monitor and let people know about his presence through him.

Secretly, I felt happy because I have less to worry about. Uncle Peter also said that the apartment is located near Ponto Vecchio that is about 0.08 miles away from Florence city, itself.

Which was perfectly fine because Casa della Moda was located there!

I was just glad that my parents' loud and perky attitude had its benefits and we were able to enjoy the perks they have.

Once I had my valid Identification cards with me along with my resume and the signed contract, I immediately looked for my recent medical certificate and have them compiled and secured in an envelope.

I also was able to set all the corporate outfits I intend to wear on my first month.

I will buy more as soon as I get my first paycheck.

For now, I will just get myself cozy with pairing and matchmaking clothes.

I'm not a graduate of fashion designing for no reason.

What I have to figure out was how to ask Alonzo and Aunt Saph for help to drive me there at Uncle Peter's apartment.

I sighed and closed the envelope where my credentials are.

I also remembered if I have to leave a couple of clothes here in case I wanted to visit them or bring them all at the apartment.

"Hey, Aunt Flo!" Val's voice rang in my ears and I was startled and almost dropped my phone beside my laptop.

"Yes! Wha- what is it?" I asked and turned to her beside me.

"I was asking what are you doing. You seem so troubled." Valerie commented, her eyebrows arched in curiosity.

"I was just worried how to get to Ponto Vecchio." I said without thinking.

"Ponto Vecchio is three hours from here. But, why are you going there?" She asked and placed her pencil on top of the table.

"My work is located in Florence. My dad's friend, Uncle Peter, has an apartment there which he let me lent it for as long as I want as it was accessible to my workplace." I answered.

And, just like that, a familiar guy whose name was Carlos, came again unannounced.

This time, he has a bottle of pizza on his right hand and around two gallons of ice cream.

"Hola! Buon Giorno, Signoras! (Hello! Good morning, ladies!)", Carlos enthusiastically said and scooped Valerie from the floor. The latter squealed both in surprise and delight.

With Valerie's light and slim frame, she was easily carried off by him.

"Ice cream!" Valerie clapped, her eyes shining with amusement and bliss.

From what it looked like, she did forget our conversation as she was eager to munch on the goodies that Carlos brought her.

Soon, Carlos was seated on the floor across us too. I shook my head and closed my laptop in front of me.

I stood up and was about to bring it to my bedroom when I felt a strong hand stopped my wrist.

I looked and saw Carlos, whose eyes are glistening with curiosity, halted me.

"Where are you going?" He asked and I was about to answer when Valerie butted in.

"Aunt Flo was wondering who'll drive her to Ponto Vecchio this Friday as she will be working in Florence." Valerie said and chewed on her pizza.

"Val!" I protested and sighed.

"Really? That's awesome!" Carlos exclaimed and ate his pizza with gusto.

"Won't you drive her there?" Valerie asked and I waited for his response.

"As much as I want to, I can't. I have to go somewhere this weekend. How about try asking Alonzo? Your dad has no work that day, right?" He asked back at her.

I sighed. Why am I even expecting him to come and drive me there?

"I'll just bring my laptop to my room. Be joining you, in a second." I said and he let me go.

And, that is how my expectations about him sank to the bottom.

But, why am I even affected!