Twenty Two

"We have a summer collection for this year

"We have a summer collection for this year. That will be in next month." Madame Zenith said as we all listened to her as she projected on the white screen her target age range for the collection.

"Madame! How about if we make a sub-theme for a summer collection?" That was Alfredo Velez, our Fashion Writer, who was speaking with the end of the pen beneath his stubble.

On her stance, Madame Zenith crossed her arms and thought for a while.

"How do you go by that? Can you please elaborate?" She asked and pulled a chair for her to sit on.

When she was seated, Alfredo began to discuss his suggestion.

"What I noticed for three years that I have been working here, it has become routinary for us to just put on a summer collection randomly. Like, it was an impulsive approach. We have sales, alright. But, what if we can innovate more?" Alfredo said thoughtfully.

That gave me an idea.

I raised my hand shyly which caught Madame Zen's attention and nodded at me, "Yes, Florence? What is it?"

"I agree w-with Alfredo. Uhm, I mean, I wasn't in your shop for a long time but I have read the previous magazines you have and the collections were great but how about if we add more of an element to it?" I commented gaining approving glances and nods from the rest of the team.

We were seated in an elongated table where we can see each other and the board as well for group discussions.

"Go on, I'm listening." Madame Zenith said leaning on her elbow and gazing at me from the far end of the table.

"I am suggesting having a summer-pastel collection or summer-striped one. I mean, any of whatever the team agrees upon. That was just a thought. We can incorporate the swimsuits with shades of any pastel colors or striped or whichever and still maintain that summer theme. That way, we can also reach more than our target age of consumers." I explained to them.

"Perfect! That is exactly what I am talking about!" Alfredo exclaimed and lightly tapped my arm in excitement. He was seated across mine and obviously, he was excited to start on it. "No offense, Madame, but if we keep doing the same thing over and over again and will not innovate, people might get bored with it."

"Uh, I don't intend to make it sound that way." I said hurriedly and defended myself.

"Hush, darling! We get what you mean and I appreciate that brilliant idea you suggested!" Miss Rebecca said to me assuringly.

I sighed in relief when I saw a smile escaped Miss Zenith's lips.

Wow! My first ever suggestion to a meeting was a hit!

Pretty soon, we voted on the sub-theme and the team was oriented and clustered for further details.

Our meeting was finished within one hour and Madame Zenith asked Renatta to stay probably for other concerns.

We all went out and I kept getting praises for my suggestion.

We eventually decided to go for summer-pastel themed collection and we have less than two months to work on it.

Lunch time came and it was the sassy Miyuki who approached and invited me to join them for lunch.

I nodded and smiled. I grabbed my bag after saving my work on the computer and turning it off.

Two weeks had passed and I developed friendship with the whole team.

Even Madame Zenith often hangs out with us. She's just so cool and so friendly.

People who doesn't know her well will be intimidated by her strong personality but us won't.

She's just straightforward and frank but those were meant for a constructive criticism unlike others who are rude on pointing them out.

Neither of us talked about Carlos whenever we hang out together with the team.

I don't know if there is a conflict between them because Carlos was in a bad mood recently when I bumped into him in our apartment. He ignored my presence and slammed the door to his unit which I just shrugged off thinking work must be his reason for it.

And then, out of the blue, just the other day, Carlos asked me if I could spend dinner with him this weekend which I gladly accepted.

As far as I know, I don't have work that day and I needed some time off from the overwhelming work that I had.

I also got a call from another shop called House of Beauty in Venice but I am already employed and enjoying my second home here so I declined the offer.

Third week came and nearing the end of May so things are getting hectic already here.

I started here end of April and time just flew by so fast.

I almost forgot each of their roles so I jotted them down on a paper and slid them inside my glass table so I can easily consult them with my needs for the design we are doing.

Shop Owner/ Manager- Madame Zenith Salvacion
Senior Fashion Designer- Miss Rebecca Salvador
Junior Fashion Designer- Miss Florence Castelo (Me!)
Garment Technologist-
Visual Merchandiser- Napoleon Gerardo
Fashion Writer: Alfredo Velez

Glancing at the list, I realized how they survived the past years with only a limited manpower.

Wow! They must be very good at this!

I can't wait to save up and open my own soon!