Thirty Eight

The day I knew that Miyuki was talking behind my back and displaying a cheerful and amicable aura in front of me was the day when Renatta started to take her place slowly to me

The day I knew that Miyuki was talking behind my back and displaying a cheerful and amicable aura in front of me was the day when Renatta started to take her place slowly to me. It was a painful memory that I will never forget.

I managed to keep a straight face after that day and pretended that I did not know anything. I was fortunate because I had an excuse to go home that day because I was feverish and Alfredo volunteered to take me home. We even stopped by at the drugstore along the way before we went home.

He never dared to talk during our ride home. All he ever said was to take good care of myself for three days in accordance to Madame Zenith's command.

It was also coincidental that I am also on my period that made the situation worse. It was the reason why I had my annoying cramps that day.

I thanked him as soon as he dropped me in front of my unit despite me telling him that he doesn't need to. I know that he knows thar something is up with me ans he remained mum about it. At that moment, I couldn't help wondering about his silence.

Was it because he also had plans of conniving with Miyuki? Does he also know about it? Was he also a part of their plan?

Suddenly, I couldn't trust anyone anymore. I became cautious of the people around me. I know that it's nonsense to be paranoid about these things but at the back of my mind, I know I should be careful of who to trust and who shouldn't.

I was partly glad that I had my lunch today before I went home. I dozed off to sleep as soon as I took my medicines and hit the bed. I was so restless and so unwell. That I did not remember having the time to change into my clothes.

I woke up feeling groggy and unable to move a muscle. I woke up with my comforter up to my neck and a face towel on top of my head. The smell of porridge reached my nostrils here in my room until I sneezed and someone so dear to me popped his head out to check on me from the door.

"Buon giorno, mi amore! (Good morning, my love!)" came Carlos' perky voice and I coughed before throwing him a glance. "Breakfast will be served in five minutes so just relax and wait up for me, alright?" I nodded and yawned as I snuggled under the sheets.

I was too weak to move. I felt Carlos' presence near me so I opened my eyes and saw him placing the breakfast tray on the table not too far from my bed.

"Come on. Sit up. I'll help you eat. You need to take your medicines later." He said and I began to oblige until I felt the comforter slid down my waist and realize that I am on my pajamas.

"Who changed my clothes?" I exclaimed and quickly covered my body with my arms which earned a chuckle from him.

"Calm down, love! I asked a housekeeper who happened to pass by yesternight to help out. Don't worry. I won't do anything to betray your trust. I won't do anything to hurt you." He said sincerely and I met his eyes. I can feel the genuineness in them so I nodded and began to eat. I insisted to eating on my own which he obliged and kept me company as I ate. "Here's your medicine. Take it and rest. Don't shower today alright. You still smell wonderful, though." He winked as he get my breakfast tray and went to the kitchen to wash the dishes.

I sighed and snuggled back to bed. In times like this, Mom is usually the one who takes care of me. Now, it's another person whom I didn't expect to be with me.

I was waiting for Carlos to come to my room but I failed because my body was still weak. I resolved to slumber once again and woke up at noon.

I glanced at my phone hoping to receive a message from someone. But I guess, she really lived up to her attitude.

All I received were get well messages from Nappy and Alfredo and Madame Zenith. Even Renatta whom I rarely get to talk to was kind enough to wish me well although in her taunting way. At least, she was true to herself and to others. She will hate you and tell you about it unlike those two-faced people who's only nice when you are around and mean when you are not.

I was still on my bed when my phone rang and saw Ysabelle asking for a video call. Frowning and curious, I sat up slowly and swiped it right to receive the call.

"Floreeee! " came Ysabelle's chirpy voice and I saw her in her bright colored knitted sweater and a bonnet on her head. "I missed you, sissy! How have you been?"

"Ysaaaa! How are you? I heard about your biological parents. How are you and Aunt Riva? I mean,– " I asked and she cut me off.

"We're all good. I accepted the truth and slowly adjusting to everything." Ysabelle sighed and yawned as she rest her back on her pillows at her headboard. Suddenly, I saw a bulge on her stomach and my eyebrows raised in surprise.

"Is it me or are you just getting fat lately?" I asked with a raised eyebrow.

Ysabelle chuckled and shook her head. "Snap out of it, Florie. I ain't fat! I'm just healthy!" She denied and I let it pass.

I have a hunch that something is definitely going on and something is bothering her. She wouldn't call so soon without asking me first if I am free or not.

I didn't say anything and Ysabelle must have noticed that I am just waiting for her to say something because she sighed and told me the truth which got me surprised and intrigued.

"Alright. I cannot hide anything from you, isn't it?" Ysabelle let out a nervous chuckle and said the truth. "I'm four months pregnant, sissy. And it looks like, I might be actually carrying twins."