Eleven

I sighed when I arrived at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Departure Gate

I sighed when I arrived at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Departure Gate. I stared at each person who's standing in front of me: Mom, Dad, Patrick and Ysabelle.

Both of my bestest friends insisted to come even if I told them that I hate getting all mushy and teary-eyed because of a fact that I won't be coming home soon. And, I will have to leave them here.

"Come here, kiddo. Give your old man a hug." Dad said and I stepped forward to hug him. "You take care, okay? Video call us whenever you're free. Come home here if things got rough." He mumbled before breaking our hug. "I love you and I'll miss you, daughter."

"I love you too, Dad." I said and wiped the corner of my eyes. Some stupid tear escaped from it.

"Hey, hon." It was Mom's turn to get mushy. Without having second thoughts, she enveloped me into a tight embrace. I didn't complain. It would take lots of time before I get to hug them like this too.

It's just not obvious since I am not the showy type of person. I prefer discrete affection than this kinds.

"I am so gonna miss my baby girl!" She cooed and sniffed as she tightly hug me again.

"Alright, Mom. I can't breathe. Pull out." I said and tapped her shoulders. I grunted when she teased me by squeezing me even tighter. "Moooom!"

Mom must have realized I was struggling when she finally broke the embrace. I can finally breathe normally.

"We-wait. Let me breathe first before you guys-" My words were of no use when Ysa and Pat jumped in to hug me with their arms. "There goes my hug." I muttered and buried my face over their necks.

"We'll miss you so much, Flo. " Ysa mumbled and I could tell she's crying already because her voice broke as she said her words. "Do video call us during your work off, ayt?" She asked.

"Stay awesome, Flo. I'm gonna miss you." Patrick whispered and gave me an airy kiss just beside my ear.

"Alright, folks. Let my daughter go. She still needs to find her way inside and we cannot go in to assist her. Break out. Break out. " Dad's voice rang from behind and after giving me one last squeeze, both my friends let me go.

I looked directly into their eyes and sniffed. Now, it's my turn to get sappy.

"I'll see you all soon. I'll call as soon as I set foot in Aunt Saph's house. Take care of yourselves, guys. Mom, Dad. I love you both. Ysa and Pat. I wish to attend to your wedding soon." I said and earned a chuckle from dad and mom.

"Go get 'em, Love." Mom cheered and gave me a flying kiss. "Bring home the bacon! Love you!"

"What!" Ysa's eyes widened and I ignored her and waved at them.

I nodded and turned around to face the guard and handed him my valid ID and e-ticket plus passport. He checked on it and gave it back to me.
With the pushcart where my two huge, red and maroon luggages were, I headed inside.

Once done, he gestured me to head inside and I went directly to the area where we fill out forms for the Immigration Desk. When finished, I checked the time and realized I am still three hours early.

I glanced at the announcement board if my flight is already allowing check in and luckily, they are. I went and fell in line. I presented my e-ticket and my printed boarding pass where they gave me the official one then handed my luggages for them to weigh it in and put on the tags and was glad that I met their required capacity.

Once my hands were free and only my handcarry backpack was with me, I returned my passport and visa inside. I kept myself busy by playing Wordscapes on my phone.

I was happy when I scrolled to my Facebook newsfeed and got words of encouragement and well wishes from people whom I get to know during college days.

I turned my wristwatch and when I discovered that there is still two hours left, I decided to went inside and got to immigration counter. I had successfully passed it with my completed documents at hand.

With a contented and ecstatic face, I walked towards a donut stand to fill my already craving stomach and bought chocolate munchkins and choco honey dipped.

My flight is due in the evening and will be in Italy by tomorrow after lunch. I am already preparing myself for a long-hour of sitting and sleeping and eating.

As soon as I was finished, I searched for the nearest room to pee. Once done, I approached an empty steeled bench which was just steps away from the boarding gate to the plane and settled myself in.

There is still an hour left. I wanted to take a nap so I set an alarm after forty five minutes.

But, with my seating location, I am a hundred and ten percent sure that I will really wake up to the blast of their microphone over the speakers where I am seated.

I hugged my backpack, checked if I still have my essentials and took a nap.

True enough, I woke up to the buzzes of the now full boarding gate.

Families of three to four, solo travellers, friends who are in for the weather and the place, vacationers and all types of people were seen interacting with each other.

I sighed. This scenario made me miss my family more.

I shook my head and my train of thoughts were distracted when they announced that the plane is now boarding. I let them go in first since I am not in a hurry and no one will take my seat away.

I'm just thankful when I learned that I got the window seat. I smiled gleefully and sat when I was inside the plane.

As soon as the flight attendants and the pilots began their demonstration, I knew I am ready to face the next chapter of my life.

See you in a bit, Italy!