Five

A week before the flight

Monday came and, as scheduled, all the graduating students have gathered at the auditorium again as we listen for the announcement and few reminders before our graduation exercises this Saturday.

Before our dry run started, Prof. Yauchengco from the Social Sciences Department got hold of the microphone and stared at us as we anticipated his announcement.

"I am so delighted to see you all there in your seats! From the naughty and YOLO attitude you all once were, you slowly matured to young and fearless adults!" Her motherly and caring voice soothed our ears and from where I was seated at the back, I can see that most students have began sniffing.

"Hey! I don't want to get mushy with all of you! I just want to say that I am proud of what you will become and how you guys, have made it this far!" She chuckled but it couldn't hide the truth that her words got the best of us.

"As far as I know, these students' retreat was long been over and done with! Quit hogging the microphone, Miss Lissy!" Prof. Alpuesto commented which earned laughter from everyone inside. Even the School Director, Mr. Querubin Angeles, who was sitting in front of the stage, has his shoulders shaking with their little banter.

One good thing about our School Director is he is so understanding and considerate with us. Oh, okay, that was two. Erase, erase. Take two.

Mr. Angeles is so patient and generous with his employees that we heard he donated monthly at the Orphanage which was associated with his maternal's maiden name.

Yes. Rumor has it that he is also a part-time owner of that Orphanage but I guess, he decided to not say anything that would either suggest his affiliation with the said center.

Oh well. Let's go and listen to their announcements first. I don't want to be left behind with the necessary stuff to bring during the Graduation Day itself.

"Later, after lunch, please do claim your togas from Prof. Lim and Prof. Davis at the open field and sign beside your name. Have it washed and ironed before Graduation Day itself. You'll have your 1st dry run after a few announcements. Next, jot this down, guys. Graduation starts at one in the afternoon. Call time is eleven in the morning. You may have your lunch either after the ceremony or before you come in here. Your choice. Graduation Exercises lasts at two to three hours maximum, considering the number of students per college and per department plus the introduction of all university employees. So, prepare yourselves, everyone. Next up, is your companions. The number of your companions who are allowed to go up on stage with you. You are allowed to have only one. Either mommy or daddy. For students with Latin Honors, you can have both." Prof. Alpuesto said and we nodded.

"And, oh, one more thing, we have three official photographers. You can tell them if you want to have your pictures during the parade or whatever. Just please, I don't want to see companions almost climbing up the stage to get your photos. We have official photographers, I repeat. We all want an orderly graduation ceremony, right?" Prof. Yauchengco butted in and flashed us her radiant smile. Prof. Alpuesto could only shake his head.

And, with that, our dry run together with the University Faculty and Staff began and after an hour and thirty minutes, we were finally on an hour break.

We're lucky that the auditorium is airconditioned. Otherwise, we're toasted under the blazing sun.

Summer has started here in the Philippines and we're onto the end of May.

Funny how I hated being so exposed to sun but always love soaking in the beach. Who would hate the sea? Not me.

What an irony it is to complain about it when I would be welcoming Italy next week. The start of their summer season!

I researched on their weather seasons and climate the last time I checked my email and found out that summer starts in June and ends at around August to September. While winter begins at December and ends in March.

So, there goes my love for summer and the beach. Really nice.

"There you are! Have been texting you and you didn't even bother replying or answering it!" Came Ysabella's voice from behind.

I turned around and realized we were at the cafeteria. I should be thanking Patrick for understanding my weirdness of constantly having a daydream.

"Flo is currently in Italy. I'll tell you later when she has landed." Patrick said and I was expecting Ysabelle's rebuttal but both of them laughed at his joke.

"Ha-ha-ha." I said sarcastically and rolled my eyes at them.

I was about to answer at them back but what I saw surprised me.

Ysabelle was sitting beside Patrick!

I mean, those two can't even be put together in the same sentence! They argue every now and then! What just happened!

Ysabelle was casually talking with Patrick as if there was no bad air between them. They were acting like friends. They were acting like humans!

"What's with that look, Flo?" Patrick frowned at me as he bit on his sour cream fries. I just gaped at him.

"Geez! Sis! Don't tell me you're checking this dumb ass out! What has gotten in your taste of men!" Ysabelle exclaimed and got two fries from Patrick and the latter didn't even complain!

I know Patrick all too well. He hates someone getting his share of food. Especially his favorite sour cream fries!

I blinked in disbelief as I watched them get comfortable with each other. Things are getting weirder days before I will be leaving these two persons in my life.

What the hell is going on? Should I be worried about their closeness? Am I really seeing Patrick in a different light? Whatever happened to me being platonic with him? Has it really been just a defense mechanism since my breakup with Ephraim?

Oh no!