Seven

I was blinded by the flickering light from the sun as I opened my eyes

I was blinded by the flickering light from the sun as I opened my eyes. It was only then that I have realized that today is Thursday and our free day.

I got home at around eleven in the evening yesterday from Ysa's birthday and I was glad that she loved my gift. She even whined when she brought up about me leaving her alone here as I went to Italy next week. Patrick could only roll his eyes as he heard us getting all mushy with each other.

"Look, I told you to separate these microwaveable plastic containers from the toiletries because they will stink especially if you let them sit beside the boxes of soap and sachets of shampoo!" I could hear mom yelling to dad who was probably at the garage at the moment.

I , then, remembered that today is their scheduled Vacation Leave from their respective jobs because of my Baccalaureate Mass and Graduation Day which were due tomorrow and the next day.

"Just wash them! As simple as that!" Dad yelled back as he continued washing our car.

I looked at my wall clock and saw that it was almost nine in the morning. My stomach started complaining again and I know it's about time to feed these pets inside me.

I went in my bathroom to wash my face and gurgled before turning off the aircon and going downstairs.

Once I was downstairs, I can hear them bickering and I could only roll my eyes. Honestly, I'm so tired hearing them argue over petty and nonsense things.

"Hey, you're awake already! The food has been heated just minutes ago. We have eaten earlier because we still have some cleaning to do. Just help yourself, won't you?" Mom said without looking at me.

I grunted in response and turned to the kitchen. I opened the rice cooker and scooped some rice and placed it on my plate. The famous hotdog and bacon tandem was sitting peacefully on top of the table.

Once I had put the plateful of rice on the table, I busied myself by making my coffee. I lifted the thermos and poured some hot water on my coffee mug after mixing in the three-in-one coffee and two teaspoons of sugar.

I sat on the chair and started eating. I tried to tune out my parents constant banter over random things and thankfully, I succeeded.

After finishing my food, I automatically washed the dishes and put them back to the dishwasher. I brushed my teeth after and saw mom talking to somebody over the phone.

As far as I remember, she invited our relatives to come over on Sunday to celebrate my entering to adulthood and that will also serve as my despedida or send-off party a week before I leave them here.

"Where are you going, Dear?" Mom asked which halted me from going back to my room.

"Upstairs?" I said questioningly.

"Nah-uh. If you're planning to sleep and watch Netflix all day, think again. We're preparing your dress for your Bacc Mass tomorrow and for your main event." Mom shook her head as she said those words.
"Go shower and we'll leave at eleven o'clock. We'll just have lunch outside."

"Okay." I simply said and started running upstairs.

"Oh, and wear shorts instead of jeans!" Mom yelled and I could only let out a snort.

Mom can be annoying at times. But she's a cool mom. Most people often mistook her being loud for being a nagger and intervening but that's her way of showing how she cares for you. If she doesn't, expect her to be otherwise.

I started to pull out my denim shorts and my comfortable pink tee and have them ironed out and placed them in a hanger before I went inside my bathroom to shower.

It took me thirty minutes inside the bathroom as I have my own rituals to do. Once finished, I went out wearing my robe and changed my clothes. I also put on some light makeup and a lipstick to put colors on my already pale face.

If there's one thing I have inherited from my parents' genes, it's this very fair complexion.

Back in the days, during my elementary and high school days, my classmates often times first notices my skin. That's because my grandma, from mom's side, has an Australian blood in her while dad's parents both are naturally fair-skinned. So, it was no doubt, I'm their product.

"Florence! You coming or are you coming!" It was my dad's turn to holler from downstairs.

"Seriously, you guys, do you really have to shout? We are just standing beside each other! Don't you think our neighbors aren't going deaf because of you?" I couldn't help but blurt out as soon as I saw them sitting at the couch.

Dad just grinned at me with his blue cap and shirt while mom was busy applying colors to her eyebrows appearing disinterested.

I rolled my eyes and sat on our one-seater couch and checked my sling bag.

Fully charged cellphone, extra cash, lipstick, valid ID and a pen.

Alright. I'm good to go.

I stared at Mom with a bored expression. She just raised her eyebrows at me and smiled.

"Do I look beautiful to you?" Mom asked and I know, I shouldn't be surprised with her quirkiness but at the moment, I was so annoyed at her.

"You're always beautiful, honey." Dad answered for me and winked.

"Aww. That is so sweet of you, hun." Mom cooed and stood up to return her makeup to their room. After a few minutes, she was carrying her bag and instructed us to check on our doors and electrical equipment if they have been unplugged as we headed to the car.

"I'll make you beautiful tomorrow, dear Flo!" Mom gushed as dad drove us to the mall. "It's just so saddening to know that you'll be on your own by next week. Let us pamper you, baby, okay?"

Oh well. Here goes.

 Here goes