Thirty Nine

I still cannot believe what I just learned from Ysabelle

I still cannot believe what I just learned from Ysabelle. She is pregnant!

I mean, yeah, it is only normal since she is a woman. But to whom she was pregnant to was what had me surprised even more.

It was too unbelievable to comprehend but who would have thought, right?

I was grinning with excitement at the thought of being her children's godmother after five months!

Funny how thrilled I was when I,  myself, cannot seem to decipher if I will have my own family soon. At least, for now.

I was finally back to my normal and healthy self after two days. Alf and Nappy had done their scolding to me as soon as I stepped into the shop.

"What the hell are you doing here, Florie?" Nappy exclaimed and dropped his papers on his table which is in front of mine. He had his hands on his waist and was eyeing me from head to toe.

I saw Renatta gave me a nod as her cool acknowledgment and I smiled at her in response. I walked past Nappy after giving him a peck on the cheek. Alfredo, who just stepped out of the pantry with a coffee mug on his hand, patted my shoulder and I tiptoed to kiss him lightly on the cheek. He walked past me to his table in front on my right.

"Hey, answer my question, my beautiful friend!" Nappy asked and glared at me.

I chuckled and sat on my table before answering his query. "I'm fine already, Nappy. My doctor was good. He took care–"

I was cut off immediately when Nappy shrieked and I cringed when I realized what I had just said. I roamed my eyes around wondering the reaction of our colleagues are but it looked like they are already used to Nappy being loud as they continue their works on their table.

"Oh. My. God. Someone took care of you while you were sick? " Nappy asked, his eyes wide with obvious curiosity. "Do I know that guy? Is it someone whom we all knew too well?"

Before I can even utter my words, Madame Zenith entered our shop and we all greeted her.

"Oh, great, you're here!" She smiled widely and I pointed at me and she nodded. "Come into my office after fifteen minutes, dear Flo."

"Ah yes, Madame." I said and me and Nappy's eyes met with bewilderment. He shrugged and sat on his chair.

I tried to keep my cool as I gave a warning knock on Madame's door before I opened it and entered her office.

Madame Zenith smiled as she gestured me to sit on the chair across hers. I obligingly did so armed with both my pen and notepad.

"So, I have this convention at Mico Milani Congressi this weekend. It's for three days and two nights." Madame Zenith explained and I nodded while waiting for her instructions. "The convention was set for fashion designers and store managers. I was supposed to send Rebecca there with me but something came up with her mother in Palermo so she took a two months off. I also happened to have a meeting with one of our sister companies in Rome and Tuscany for two days. So, can you attend on my behalf?"

My eyes widened both in excitement and astonishment. I nodded and she grinned.

"Great! I already booked in The Square Milano Duomo so I will just sent them to your email and you just have to print them out as they will be asking for it when you checked in there. I'll also send to you my confirmed registration form  and other essential documents for the said convention."  Madame Zenith added and I scribbled blindedly my schedule for this weekend.

"Noted on the convention, Madame! Uh, do I need to prepare anything for the convention?" I asked for confirmation and she paused for a moment to think.

"Wait, I'll just check my email." She said and faced her computer screen. She scrolled and she commented, "there will be an agent who may probably scout for apprentices or assistants for their semi-annual fashion show and most of them asks for a portfolio. Maybe, you can bring yours. Who knows, you might be chosen?"

"Alright, Madame. Thank you for the opportunity to attend the convention!" I exclaimed and she winked at me.

"No worries, my dear. I would have love to go with you but the other shops need my attention and I believe you can represent our shop well." Madame Zenith added and rested her chin on her knuckles while looking at me. "That will be all. You may go back to whatever you are doing. I'll just email you once I have received any update about the convention."

"Will do my best, Madame, and thanks again!" I said and I grinned.
I stood up and bowed slightly at her and closed the door behind me.

I couldn't hide my enthusiasm as I went back to my place. My smile was almost reaching my ears in glee.

This is my chance to learn more about the fashion industry! A stepping stone to enhance my skills and to meet acquaintances!

Suddenly, I no longer care what the two-faced people think of me here in the shop. I just know that I am just doing my job without having to ask for help from Carlos or anyone. I was accepted for the position using my own capabilities and skills.

"What's with that grin, Flo?" Nappy asked again when I passed by him.

"Leave her alone, Naps." Alfredo said and he rolled his eyes. "Get to work instead of always bugging her."

"Yes, daddy Alfy." Nappy mocked and Alf threw a crumpled paper at him which he dodged so easily.

"Someone's getting to the top again..." I heard a whispered mutter of annoyance from my left side and I knew it came from Miyuki.

"What makes her so much better than me? What makes her just everything that I can never be? " I sang and annoyed her more while I opened my computer and started working on the additions to my portfolio for my upcoming convention.

I happened to see her scowl and I grinned in silent triumph. I am not one to back down if I see myself not being treated fairly.

Suddenly, I can see myself winning over these life's challenges. I just need to be strong and survive everyday.

Yeah. That should be my attitude. I ought to be that woman. The empowered one.

 The empowered one