Thirty Three

I was so prepped up after we were done eating

I was so prepped up after we were done eating. We rested for a moment before we all decided to go out and enjoy the day.

Miyuki was hyper and dragged our squad which consists of me, Nappy and Alf to pose for a group selfie. Since we are all in the mood, we all did what she told.

After a couple of snapshots, we went to the beachfront and everything was just perfect.

Nappy was all ready to dive into the blue sea when we heard a ball being tossed every now and then.

My eyes rested to Renatta's side and true enough, they are having fun playing beach volleyball.

From the way I see it, it was Renatta and Viola versus Trixie and Charley. All in their two-piece string bikinis and skillful hands over the ball, these ladies appeared to be in a competition over whose team was better.

And then suddenly, a great idea came to me. I was grinning from ear to ear when Miyuki shook her head and yanked my arm.

"I don't like that grin. I know what you are thinking and your competitive side was showing all over again.", she said and Nappy was in front of me with Alf on his side.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking, Flo?" Nappy raised his eyebrows at me and Alf chuckled looking at us with an amused expression.

"Ha-ha! What are you guys up to, now? Banana and Pajamas?" Miyuki rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Are you up for it?" I asked in excitement and Nappy nodded. I exclaimed, "alright! Leggo!"

With glee, it was my turn to yank both Miyuki's and Nappy's arms towards where Renatta's squad was.

"Hey, guys! Are you up for some game?" It was Nappy who break the ice.

Both Renatta and Charley looked at the four of us and the latter held the ball in her hand.

"You game with it, girls?" Charley asked them and they all nodded.

"Alright. It will be us versus your team." Renatta said and called for Trixie to go to their side of the net. She lowered down her voice and probably told them about their plans to take us down.

"Put on your best shot, girls! Let's get this summer rolling!" Nappy hissed at us and we just simply nodded. Its us versus Renatta's.

We went to the opposite side of the court and it was Viola who set the ball. I was the blocker and Nappy was in heat as he returned the ball with all his might.

Soon, beachgoers stopped and watched us play. All we could hear was the sound of the waves and the ball being tossed, spiked and blocked every now and then. The game ended in three sets with our squad winning it.

All of us including Renatta's team were down on the sand, panting and catching our breath.

The sun kissed our bare shoulders and faces. Looks like the sunblock won't work oj our skin since it was past three in the afternoon. Our beach volleyball game ended within an hour and we are all exhausted to move a muscle.

"It was a great game, Florence." Renatta said and I turned to face her. "Were you a professional volleyball player back in your hometown?"

I could feel my face warming up at her praise. I nodded slowly.

"Thanks. I was a varsity player during my highschool days. Just stopped when I reached college to focus on my studies. I only get to play again today." I admitted and both Nappy and Miyuki gaped at me.

"Figures." Viola muttered in a voice we can all here.

"No wonder, you're so good at it. We should play again some time. That is, if ever we get a chance after work." Renatta chuckled and sighed. She leaned back with her hands on the sand and lifted her head back to feel the whiff of air blew on her face.

This was the first time Renatta ever initiated an invitation to bond with me, let alone start a conversation. I often get intimidated by her presence and strong aura. Volleyball really must be the way for people to unite together. Like a team building activity.

"Alright! I want to swim! Want to join us, Flo?" Nappy exclaimed and stood up from the sand. He was already in his beach shorts and his skin start to redden as the heat of the sun kissed him.

I nodded and I lifted both my arms asking him to pull me up which he gladly did so.
Once I had stood up, both of us turned to Miyuki wailing on the sand, "Help me up! I am so dead tired from the game!"

We laughed and both Nappy and I pulled her up as she grunted about her waist and arms being so used up. Then we heard a click and saw Alf capturing our picture.

"Alfredo!" All three of us screamed and Alf ran to the beach and passed his waterproof camera to someone we don't know. The guy just laughed at us and soon, we are playing on the beach and swimming to our heart's content.

I swam and dived down low and only went up to catch my breath. I marveled how cold the water felt on my skin perfectly complementing the blazing rays of the sun.

Soon, I can see Renatta and her squad on the beach with us. It was Alf who was sociable enough to whisk water on them and shortly after, all of us are laughing and playing again with the water.

I contented myself by leaning my back on a rock just meters away from them. Suddenly a man with chiseled chest and a six-pack abs came running from the shore with his right hand holding a surfboard.

I frowned as I noticed how familiar he was. Then, I gasped realizing who the guy was.

It was none other than Carlos Salvacion. My  blue-eyed neighbor who happened to be the son of my boss and the owner of the resort.

 My  blue-eyed neighbor who happened to be the son of my boss and the owner of the resort