1. Late night

The street lights were too bright on a night like that, profound silence was the only thing he wanted at that moment. From the chief superintendent's office to his 3 BHK apartment, it's a long drive and it's raining outside. Maybe it's the first time he met with rain after joining Seoul metropolitan police station as a Superintendent General, or after realizing what he wanted in his life.  

The driver slows down the car as it was a hump on their way. He concentrated on reading the name boards of the shops on the left side of the road. He was new to the city. Even though it's his first time, everything feels right in place, as if he already memorized them.

While passing through the road, dim and foggy street lights falling over him through the glass window, he got a call on his phone - late at night, more suspicious. It was his superior officer on the line. He right-swiped and started with a "hello sir"

"Hello, Mr. Jeon, I'm Suho, Commissioner-General. Can you hear me?" - the other side. 

"Yes sir, please tell me " 

He answered while instructing the driver to reduce the volume of the music. As the knob turned down, the chaotic world chimed in his ears. 

"See, I know it's late and you're probably heading home. But there is an emergency. I will text you the place, you go and check there, right now. " -Suho said. All he could do was listen to his senior, and mentally groan, because he was tired already and wanted nothing but sleep. Guess the plan has to be postponed. 

"Okay... Okay sir I will go " 

he said and hung up the phone. Even though he's exhausted, the order of the commissioner can't be neglected. 

As they were about to reach the next turn, his driver turned back and asked.

"Sir, where to?"

The officer looked at the new messages he got and said

"House no:221, Itaewon"

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

The car stopped and he went out impatiently. His uniform made people frozen on their spot, not surprised. But then they went back to their own world. It wasn't the first time he was witnessing people pausing for him. It's been a routine now and he loved the power his uniform gives him every time. Head straight and gaze scrutinizing everything, he walked to his destination - House no: 221.

The door was open. The louder noise of people destroyed his way of thought and he came back to reality, noticing the fact that he was reached the front of the door. The crowded apartment made him uncomfortable. He wanted all of them to clear his way and leave him alone. 

As he entered he found his assistant police officers Choi Yeonjun and Choi Soobin standing near a corner, inspecting and asking questions people. Soobin found him and walked towards Jeongguk. The flat was neat and clean - no messy stuff, no dust, and dirt, so much to his liking. Still, he felt dizzy and uncomfortable. 

It was no new to him. He was made of accepting reality and its dark sides. It's been a part of his job. But still, he felt haunted, like he was in the wrong place.

"Mr. Jeon, the incident happened three months before and the case is almost closed. But his parents want..." 

Soobin explained and cut off in the middle as he found Jeongguk staring at the frame on the wall. Both of them went silent and then followed their senior's lead. 

"Sir, here is the case file " - Yeonjun handed over a red file to Jeongguk. He held the file and walked through the living room. As the crowd started talking loudly, he instructed Soobin to send all of them out of the flat.

Jeongguk's steps were firm and frightening. He seemed troubled and dizzy, unable to pinpoint what was the thing that made him weak there. The living is well-decorated. The sofas, the curtains, the flower vase, and... And the decorative quote on the wall. He paused to read it.

"None of this is a coincidence "

Fairy lights are decorated around it. He looked near sofas and vases if there was any clue left.

"Sir, this is his bedroom where he ..."

Said Yeonjun pointing to a door on which a yellow danger signal and 

"Entry restricted " is posted - not by the police. 

Jeongguk turned towards the room and Yeonjun opened it for him. As soon as he stepped slowly inside, the intoxicating scent embraced him and all Jeongguk could think about was how his head was spinning. It was dark. Yeonjun and Soobin tried to find the switch of the light and pressed it on. 

The room was also neat. The entry was restricted and there were yellow ribbons of police tied from the bed to the window and the corner crossly. Jeongguk removed it and looked everywhere inside. 

There are a lot of pictures, frames, quotes, and other beautiful things hanging on the wall. A typical teenager's bedroom. He noticed the strings of fairy lights on which some photos are stuck. Books were well arranged on a table, windows were closed, and the blanket was folded neatly. It felt like no one ever really lived there. Strange. 

Three of them inspected the room. Jeongguk opened the cupboard. An alluring smell hit his nose, made his knees weak, and unknowingly took over his consciousness. The clothes were placed in them. His things were also safe inside. 

The second drawer contained his certificate file. Jeongguk took it out and held it with his red file. Before he opened the next drawer, he got a phone call from commissioner Suho. Jeongguk said hello and instructed Yeonjun and Soobin to go out and lock the room. They went outside and locked the bedroom and house.

"Yes sir, I've reached here. " - Jeongguk whispered. 

By that time, Soobin and Yeonjun said that they would meet tomorrow and walked towards the lift, Jeongguk scanned the premises. He was searching for any hints at the same time answering the commissioner about his views.

"Sir, I think I will come tomorrow and will check it out in detail. 

Okay, sir...

Bye..."

he said and hung up the call. A heavy exhale left his mouth, pulling his hair in frustration because he knew. From then, his sleep was about to go. With one last glance at the closed door, Jeongguk inhaled sharply before walking towards the lift. He hated that his instinct was somewhere scratching the back of his head, not giving a good vibe about the whole scene. Either way, Jeongguk decided to ponder over it later and head towards his home.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

Welcome to 'Twilight of Itaewon'!
And house no. 221.

That's the first chapter. Things will be better from now on.

Stay tuned...thanks for reading...

~AnecdotesOfABroken