Chapter 39 - Decision

Start from the beginning

"Wait, so you're going to-"

"Noona. Let her be the one who tells you about it. Please? Pretend this conversation never happened."

"But... why? Don't you love her, Y/N?"

"I do, noona. Believe me I really do. But if I were to choose what you assumed, I'm afraid that the road ahead of us would be more.. deadly? You get what I mean. Both of our groups are still considered new, noona. You saw how the general public reacted to the news, right? I can't risk both my career, and hers. Not only ours, but also our members."

In Eunbi's mind, his reasoning made sense, yet debatable.

"There are a few arguments that I would like to ask about, but I want to ask your first. Is your decision already final? Are you not going to reconsider?"

"I wish I could. But I don't want her to get hurt if I were to ask her to stay together."

"I see." She scoffed. "Let me tell you this, Y/N. You will regret this decision later on."

"I know I will." He answered, looking down at the ground in shame.

"But, thank you, Y/N."

"Eh?"

"To be honest, I also wasn't sure about both of our futures would look like, had you chosen to stay with her. But it looks like you chose the more rational option for yours, and our sake. I'll have to give you that. If you ever want to meet her in secret, tell me about it beforehand."

"Can I even do that? Like, I'm pretty sure once I told them my decision, they'll reschedule everything so that our group won't pass by each other."

"That's true. And that's why..." She took her phone out, giving Y/N a QR code with her ID.

"I'll give you my contact."

"But, I have Chaeyeon's contact-"

"As the leader, I would love to hear from you firsthand." Y/N obliged and scanned the code.

"Do you really not have any plans? Like maybe just say that the two of you had nothing going on, but continue to date each other in secret?" She asked, after putting her phone back.

"Actually I do. But now's not the right time."

"Ah, that explains why you seem to be quite calmer than I expected. But don't take too long, else she'll be taken by other guys."

"I'll make sure that that won't happen."

Just as Y/N finished his words, both Irene and Minho came into the room.

"Eunbi? What are you doing here?"

"Oh, unnie. just asking Y/N about his current condition."

"Get back to the meeting room." Eunbi nodded before leaving the room.

"Y/N."

"Yes?"

"...do what you think is right." He nodded to her advice, before being escorted to a secluded room where its glass was closed with blinds.

"We'll be waiting for you here. Go inside and talk things through with her."

But I already made my decision though. Guess all that's left is to tell Yuri about it.

"Oppa!" She stood up from her seat, running towards his embrace. They stood there for a few moments, before she let go of the hug and looked him up in the eyes. He noticed her eyes being puffy, which made him worry.

"Yuri-ah. Your eyes."

"I-It's okay! You don't have to worry about it. Hehe." She smiled, not wanting to make him more worried than he already is.

"...Yuri-ah." He called, after not being able to open his mouth for a few seconds. For him, it felt like time all of a sudden paused, making him unable to speak or even move.

"Oppa. You're going to break up with me, aren't you?" The words she spoke out pricked his heart, being surprised by her guess.

"Wha-"

"The situation we're in is inevitable, oppa. The rumor has probably spread across the country, seeing how there're lots of people who have commented on the rumor. Some say that it's an edit, that it's someone else, even as far as to say that the rumor is just a distraction from the main issue that's currently going within the company." She explained, and took a pause before continuing.

"I saw some people defending us on the matter, saying that we can date whoever or whenever we want. But in the end, all we're able to think of right now is our image, our group's and our company's image. And that's why I told myself to be strong and not cry when you say the words."

Y/N gritted his fist, feeling powerless in the situation he's in. He slammed the table out of frustration, making Yuri startled. Realizing what he just did, he immediately apologized.

"I'm sorry, Yuri-ah. I'm just... I shouldn't have done that in front of you. I'm sorry." He hung his head low as he said it. She moved closer towards him and lifted his head up before holding both of his hands, calming the guy she fell in love with.

"Oppa. Remember when we first met?" She asked out of nowhere, making him confused. "I was so happy, but embarrassed at the same time after finding out that you were the partner I was going to be with."

He sat in silence, unable to reply with anything before going with her flow of conversation.

"Yeah. You looked stunning back then." She smiled as he replied.

"After that we exchanged our contacts, texted each other, called each other, went on a date,and even met your grandparents, oppa. Things escalated quickly back then." He nodded at her story.

"But then... your aunt came. And kidnapped me." She glared at him as it sent chills down his spine, recalling those moments.

"I'm gonna have to apologize once again for causing inconvenience."

"But because of that, we got even closer with each other. I started to get closer with your grandparents, we basically knew each other's secrets, and in the end, you confessed to me on that day. A day I would never forget, oppa. Where we danced in the middle of a country that's foreign to us, with classical music to guide us through the dance. Truly, it felt magical." Tears started rolling down her cheek, as Y/N took his handkerchief and wiped it off of her complexion. His heart has already broken to pieces, seeing the one he loves deeply being hurt.

"Yuri-ah. You're not the only one who feels like that, you know that right? It felt magical to me as well. It was as if we were both characters from a children's story in a D*sney world." He attempted to cheer the sobbing girl, rubbing her on the head.

"But as it escalated quickly for us, unfortunately it went downhill soon after." Y/N blamed himself for being unable to do anything in order to keep them together.

"I will never forget the moments we spent with each other, oppa. Our first date, the situation with your aunt, the thing that went on with Chaeryeong where you passed out, basically everything that had to do with you, oppa." Silence filled between them, before Yuri continued with her parting words.

"Oppa. Before you say the words, can you promise me that you'll never forget the moments we spent with each other, even though it's only been a few months?" Her eyes stared into him, as tears were still rolling down her face.

"You don't even need to ask. I will never, ever forget anything. And most importantly, I won't ever forget you, Yuri-ah." He smiled through the pain, attempting to end everything with a smile despite knowing that ending it with a smile with the things that are going on should not be an option in the first place.

He caressed her cheeks, pinching lightly on her earlobe as it made her smile.

"Yuri-ah. We should end our relationship." The moment he said the words, Yuri started bawling at his chest. He hugged her, attempting to calm her down, being sorry about the decision he had just made.

Not only that, he felt dead inside.