she shows up on your wedding day - part two (requested)

Start from the beginning

Only, this time, it obviously wasn't tears of joy gathered in your eyes and hers.

"I-I don't understand." She mumbled.

"I know. I don't know how to explain it. I was so excited to marry you, Sara. I love you, I truly do. But this isn't what I want anymore."

She swallowed thickly and stared down at her feet.

"I'm sorry." You said as your lower lip wobbled. "I swear I love you."

"I love you too. More than I ever loved anyone in my life. I always will."

She dropped your hand and lowered her head with a sigh.

"Are you upset?"

"Yeah." She nodded. "I've got every right to be. Don't you think so?"

"You do." You agreed. "I'm sorry."

"Yeah. Me too." She sighed and bit her lip to try to hold back any tears from falling down and keep her voice from cracking as she prepares to speak again.

"But if this isn't what you want then we shouldn't go through with it. This is a lifelong commitment. If we're not committed now, if we're not on the same page on the day of our wedding, then we shouldn't go through with it. If you're having second thoughts, picturing someone else up there that isn't me, then it's not meant to be, and there's nothing I can do to change that."

There was a moment of silence before she rubbed your arm softly. She still looked devastated when your eyes met, still filled with tears, and understandably so.

"I hope you're happy. I don't mean that sarcastically, y/n. I hope you find happiness. Because you deserve it. I love you a lot, but I also love you enough to let you go. I hope you find someone to love you the way you deserve; wholeheartedly."

"Thank you." You said with a sad smile then hugged her. "I hope the same for you."

She nodded and pulled away before saying, "I should go now. Gotta change and tell everyone what's going on."

You nodded before making your way back to your room where you wiped off your makeup, changed out of your dress, and took off your engagement ring to set it on the table before you walked out.

You were so in your head that you almost didn't notice Jade on the sidewalk. But when you did your breath hitched. You slowly went to sit beside her and to your surprise, she looked sad as her eyes met yours.

"Y/N?" She gasped. "What are you doing out here? Why aren't you in your dress?"

"Why are you sitting out here? You didn't go home?"

She sighed sadly before shaking her head.

"Why?"

She wanted to confess, but she worried she'd ruin your day.

"Don't let me ruin your day. Please. Go get married." She chuckled and tried to put on a smile to hide her aching heart.

"I'm not getting married."

She frowned.

"What? I thought you loved Sara? Why wouldn't you go through with it? When we talked, you seemed so excited."

"I was." You said before looking away from her to stare ahead, watching the grass move with the wind instead. "But then I got up on the altar and..." you paused and then sighed. "I realized that Sara wasn't the one I wanted to see standing in front of me."

She felt her heart hammer against her chest as the words fell from your lips. She held out hope, wondering if the lucky person you dreamt of being there with you on your special day was her. But she didn't want to get her hopes up. So she sat there without saying anything and listened instead.

"I saw..." you paused and turned to look at her. "You. Gosh, Jade, it's like everywhere I look now all l I see is you. I think about my future now and it feels like something is missing. It's been weighing on my mind and now, all I can see when I try to picture what my heart truly desires for the future, all I see is you."

It felt so surreal. The love she has for you never stopped, never faded. She was smiling, which brought you relief. You could see the stars in her eyes. But then, the worry and guilt replaced her happiness.

"I never meant to show up and ruin your day."

"You didn't." You assured and moved your hand just a little closer to her. "You helped me. You made me realize what I truly want. If you hadn't, if you'd shown up further down the line, if I had gotten married today, things would be so different and so much messier."

"Everything happens for a reason... right?"

You nodded and waited for her to speak. She never said anything about how she felt and you wondered if she felt the same like you thought and hoped she did or if it was only in your head.

"Please say something."

She looked back at you and then, finally, laid her hand over yours.

"I feel the same about you. I've never stopped loving you. It hurt me to find out you were getting married, but I had to see you one last time before you did. Because even if this hadn't taken place, if you and Sara did marry today, I at least wanted you to know that I was thinking of you and you'll always hold a special spot in my heart."

You both went silent, simply smiling a little and staring up at the sky.

"Where do we go from here?" You wondered.

"I don't know. But I also don't mind. Because as long as I've got you by my side, I'm okay with whatever happens." She confessed and softly kissed your hand.

You put your head on her shoulder, feeling both exhausted but also a little curious and excited at the thought of your future with Jade ahead of you.