32. Morphic madness intrudes

Start from the beginning

I felt a calming warmth envelop my hands. The source was much smaller than my own, only covering sections of my hands when they took hold. Three fingers laced through my own delicately pulling me forward and prompting me to look into the eyes of their owner.

Zim gave me a smile. It wasnt like his usual ones, when a plan actuallly came through, or when his pride was talking. It was one of the genuine smiles that came out when he needed to say "I'm here for you" without even speaking.

And I would never fail to believe it.

"Okay. How do you want to do this?" I asked after taking a breath of air in preparation.

The irken snickered to himself, eagerly pulling me a little closer towards the area Lori stood in. It suddenly dawned on me that I wasnt ready for this plan. I could never be ready for a plan concocted by Zim.

But if was too late. Zim had already began making a loud statement in the fakest voice known to man.

Now I was just embarrassed.

"YES Y/N, I KNOW ITS A GREAT STORY. I WOULD HAPPILY TELL YOU MORE!"

I had never wanted to smash my head against a tree more.

I just settled for slamming my face into the palms of my hands instead. Zim had been so close to catching Lori's attention and it was freaking me out.

I clamped a hand over his mouth, preventing any noise louder than a muffle from spewing out. I could only mentally beg for Zim to shut up before my embarrassment increased any further and probably end up being my demise.

I didnt let go of his mouth as I marched him away from the scene and spoke.

"Zim, dont take this the wrong way but, you are a terrible actor." I stated bluntly, eyes half-lidded in pure "done with this" attitude.

Honestly, there probably wasnt a way to take a statement like that wrong. It was offensive, no matter how you heard it. Zim made it perfectly clear.

The irken began to protest. It only came out as angry muffles and flailing arms when trying to rebel against my comment. Even when I couldnt understand a word of what he was saying, it was very clear that he wouldnt let that comment stand.

He began to pull on my hand, prying it away from his face. His clawing became harsher and it was starting to hurt. That's why I had to let him go.

Once I released him, he began to go on a full scale rant. He was clearly in denial about being a bad actor, but even more so about being a bad friend, which isnt even what I said.

"I'm just trying to help you!" He claimed, huffing and glaring.

My eyes softened at his words. He had been helping me, this whole time. He took me to the miniverse, he listened to my problem, he gave me pretty good advice and, even now, hes trying to help me fix it.

I sighed, feeling conflicted. Zim was really getting good at this. More so than I ever imagined. He was probably better than me at this point. All I've been doing so far is crying about my problem and not changing a thing.

My breath was still shaky and I felt a wave of nervousness wash over me. But I was ready.

I knew it was time to finally stand up and sort this out. If Lori doesnt accept my apology, so what? At least I tried. Plus, I still have Zim on my side. There was no one more loyal!

I couldnt be more thankful to him for making me realise that.

"I'm sorry. You have helped me. I'm sorry if I dont seem appreciative but I am. I will talk to Lori, okay." I leaned against the tree I previously wanted to bash my head against, the branches taking complete support of my arms as I shifted my weight against it.