.::Chapter 55

[@bootyvibes: I have been reading this story non-stop [besides sleep because I need that shït] & I gotta say, I LOVE YOU & THIS BOOK LIKE HOLY CHEESE BALLS YOU'RE AMAZING]

Hemmings side ~ 'the one who thinks about making peace'

When Amanda and I used to date, and we were at that point in our relationship where we warned each other about our families and stuff, one particular guy caused her to gush while mentioning to me; "My brother's best friend kind of likes me."

His name is Calum and he has been knowing Ashton since grade school, which according to her exact same words, was 'like, since forever, I guess.' "To tell you the truth, I've always known...I mean, it's kind of the way he looks at guys whenever I'm near one...Like if he wants to rip their heads off."

"That's great," I remember using sarcasm to hide my apathy on the case. "He sounds like a cool dude already."

Amanda smiled weakly, placing one of her soft hands over my own across the modern circular table from the outside of a frozen yoghurt shop. "Luke, you don't have to get along with him. That's not what I'm asking, he's not my best friend. But...He is an important person in my life, and I just wanted to tell you this in case you ever meet him."

I didn't care much about it, like Amanda implied, he wasn't an obstacle for us. Sure, I got to see him a couple of times when I picked her up from school and on each occasion, he was plotting different ways to get rid of me, judging by the sour look on his face he'd get when I appeared.

"We're not extremely close or anything, but I used to hang out with my brother and him a lot when we were kids and also, his sister, Maddy, is one of my besties! So we're around each other frequently."

"Ah," maybe she was just trying to get me jealous, I heard from May that some girls are like that, they test you to see if you care enough to become possessive over them or something. Though, as much as I was trying to get mad over it, I just couldn't. "Well, then there's no problem. He's just your brother's best friend."

And it wasn't that big of a deal, not when I was dating her.

〜 After dropping Shorty off to that fancy-seeming restaurant for dinner with his mother, sister and guests, I went back to my place and decided to prepare some supper for myself. I was planning on being alone for the rest of the night, anyway. I kept thinking Ashton would talk to his sister and the two of them would make peace, causing him to go back home and leave me in solitude once again.

I knew Amanda was the kind of girl to miss her brother very much; she used to constantly text him whenever he was out (which was quite rare) and she worried about his well-being. It had been a week since the two seen each other (except during school hours but Ash explained how she wouldn't direct her gaze at him) she was probably missing him enough to cry seven rivers, though.

I locked the door to my home as soon as I was inside, you know, Shorty kept telling me about crime prevention. More like 'boss prevention' because Ailyn had the scary talent of opening windows without breaking the glass even if they were locked from the inside.

As usual, I took off my jacket and placed it on the sofa. Then, I pressed a small red button on the house phone to see if I had any voice messages while I walked into the kitchen and thought about my options of grub.

Usually, I'd make a sandwich or something entirely simple that would only take two or three minutes of my day but as I searched and searched the cabinets for bread, which I swore I bought a bag earlier, I listened to a deep voice from my machine.

"Hello, this is Dr. Reid, I'm calling to inform May Danielle Clifford about her missed appointment on Monday morning. We received the lab results on her blood condition and it is very important for her to contact us as soon as possible. Another treatment is highly needed, so please call me back when you hear this. Thank you."