.::Chapter 5O

[@ALoveLikeSammy: Omg I love this story so much, I always get excited when you update. I just can't believe that it's coming to an end soon.]

Hemmings side ~ 'the one who comes out'

"Luke, honey, pass me that frying pan by your left." Believe it or not, my mom and I used to have the best mother-son relationship others dream to have at some point in their lives. "No, stupid, the other one!"

Yeah, it was terrific. When my best friend moved away and I didn't had anyone else to spend my free time with, my mother was there. It's not like I hated her, in fact I adore her, but what kind of pre-teen boy actually picks cooking, cleaning, knitting, planting, and even joining book club with his mother's friends instead of video games or learning a cool hobby like sports or playing music?!

As I grew up, our house consisted of four guys and one beautiful woman who would risk her whole life to save her family. Besides the fact that the man she decided to marry and live with was a full blown jerk who cheated on her once, he was also a workaholic and would leave her to raise their kids all alone every single day.

My two older brothers, Jack and Ben, used to help her out around the place the moment they started walking and learning about common sense. The two even claim that they were taught how to throw the trash away and sweep the kitchen even before they started potty-training.

She never had to pressure me into helping her, though. I naturally started doing it, just by watching my siblings scurry around every morning, afternoon and night. Before breakfast, after school and hindmost when dinner ended. In grade six, I noticed how tired they came home from additional activities and began taking over their duties to give them less work to worry about.

Unfortunately, for me, they were a bit rough and took advantage of my kindness as I was too naive to notice it. Michael always told me what they were doing, but I would deny it. "They're my brothers, they wouldn't do things like that to the youngest..."

"I may not have a brother," he would reply, "but I have a little sister so I know what it's like to feel superior than younger siblings and treat them badly."

Despite all his warnings, I still liked taking Jay's and Benny's tasks since I got paid for it. Maybe not with actual money, but with our mother's affection and trust. It wasn't only because I was her 'Widdle Wookey-Pukey', she cared for me a lot more than for her other kids. Don't take my words for it, she even told me, I swear.

"You're a lot brighter than they were at your age, Luke." She'd say. "I know you're not going to disappoint me in any way. I have high expectations from you, and I would do anything to see you succeed in life. Don't tell your brothers I said this, though, they would use it against you."

Okay, maybe I exaggerated, but even if the three of us are irreplaceable in our mother's heart. I knew that somehow, and this might be my pure ego talking, she held a tiny bit more respect for me than Jack and Ben, who left the house before I did and became these rude strangers that would come over for dinner once or twice a month and not direct anymore than five words to us after it was over. "Thanks for the food, bye."

Our mom used to cry about that. She'd assure Dad and I she was fine once they left, then later I would find her crying in the living room at three or four in the morning. "No, really, I'm okay, Luke. It's just...They're becoming adults, and I am just so proud of them...I can't help but shed these tears of happiness...Now go back to bed, please."

Even as a naive little boy, I knew she was lying. "Mom...Don't cry anymore, you still have me. Ok? I won't ever leave you alone."

I touched her cheek for only a second but she placed her trembling hand over it, pressing it against her damp skin and smiling at the feeling. "I know I do. You're my little boy...and I know you won't ever disappoint me..."