.::Chapter 16

Hemmings side ~ 'the one who's a heartbreaker'

Friday morning, I had a lot of crap to stress about and Ashton ignoring my text messages wasn't helping my day. He was acting weird, first kicking me out of his room and yelling at me about not calling him 'Ash', then not wanting to go to school because he 'suddenly felt sick' according to his sister. Now, when I tried to ask if he needed something, he would ignore me.

"Answer me, damn it." I had a bit of a snit, leaving him a voice mail while I parked my car outside my work place. "Let me know how you're doing, at least! Ashton, tell me if something is wrong."

Expecting for him to maybe answer that time, I waited; But as seconds flew by, I let out a cooed 'fuck this' hitherto hanging up and leaving my car with a drought taste in my mouth. I was starting to get irritated with his abrupt change in behaviour.

The first person I saw as I entered the dark brown building and clocked in was my over friendly boss, Mr. Scott. "Hemmings, you're fifteen minutes late today."

Shit. I was hoping he wouldn't be in the workers lounge first thing in the morning since I was usually late. But there he was, counting down how many tardies I've had on the last couple of weeks. Not to mention, how many times I've asked for a day off to spend it with Amanda. "Sorry, I had to drop my girlfriend off to school and herー"

He shushed me when he heard the 'g' word. It was forbidden to talk about it, but oddly enough it was only a rule he created for me and nobody else. "We don't say that here. People don't want to hear you say you have a girlfriend, Hemmings. It breaks people's hearts. Is that what you want? To make...Stevens over there, cry?"

He pointed at one of my co-workers, Ella Stevens, who shyly covered her face and left when I waved at her. "She likes you, Hemmings. Please don't make her cry."

It was so obvious she didn't, Ella had a boyfriend already, who I used to hang out with in high school. If there was anyone in the building who liked me it was probably my own boss. I might be wrong about it, though. "Sorry, sir. I won't talk about that again."

"All is forgiven, son." He smacked my ass, like he usually did every time he and I crossed paths and I pretended like it wasn't sexual harassment just for the sake of getting a raise someday. "You look buffer, have you worked out lately?"

Awkwardly, I peeked at the the middle aged man who was too close, I could smell the coffee he had that morning in his breath. I moved my face away in hope that he wouldn't try to kiss me and smiled. "No, sir..."

"Hm...Well. You stay in shape...Oh, before you leave for lunch break, come see me at the clerk table. I'm gonna give you something that you'll love..." He was talking about that raise, it had to be it. Otherwise that last part he said in a whisper would of haunted my dreams for the rest of my life.

〜 "Thanks for shopping here, come again!" I heard the light and faint voice of Ella tell a customer who bought a whole set of drums. I finished tuning the last guitar on display as she beckoned me over. "Luke, it's break time."

I nodded slightly in her favor, grabbing my phone and walking outside for at least five minutes until no one from my job could see me lose composure. "Ashton, you better pick up."

He didn't. I called about seven times and it send me straight to voice mail, I left him numerous amounts of texts but he didn't replied to those either. Honestly, at that rate I just wanted to leave work early and sought out for him. But I couldn't be irresponsible, I still had work to do even after I clocked out of my job. I had to pick up my girlfriend and then rush back home to help May prepare for her date.

I didn't had the time to be fixated on Ashton but there I was, walking back to my boss' side and asking to leave. "I'm terribly sorry, sir."

"I cherish you, Hemmings. You're like the son I always wanted but couldn't have. You're smart, you're handsome, you have a very strong charm that may attract more than ladies, if you get what I mean..." He winked, nudging my shoulder before going back to his point. "You're an amazing human being who clearly makes his mistakes every now and then. What I'm trying to say here, Hemmings, is that...In life, you won't meet a lot of people who let something like this go. But I will let it go, because I cherish you."