.::Chapter 26

[@StylinsonIrwing: I started reading this story yesterday and I cannot put it down omfg this is amazing and I love it so much!! :)]

Hemmings side ~ 'the one who needs more time'

On my seventh birthday, my parents had a fight during the celebration. I remember our guests gasping at my father, who suddenly hit the woman he was married to for more than a decade. My older brothers and some uncles tried stopping them, all while the kids were sent inside my home for shelter.

I was so scared that I fell to the ground, weeping like the little cry-baby that I already was. My best friend helped me sit up, then held my hand and guided me somewhere else.

Away from the kids that were crying for their mommy's, away from the teenagers that kept trying to calm them down; away from the fight, away from everything.

"If you keep sobbing, people will laugh at you." I remember his blunt words always made me cry harder, but he was right. Ever since we met in first grade, he kept trying to show me how to stand up for myself. I was a chubby kid, girls hated me and boys loved to tease me. All, except for one.

That boy was Michael Clifford, and I had the biggest sense of admiration for him. At least back then, I called it that.

We were neighbors and our parents would often invite his over for dinner, I met his sister too, but she was always with their father. I never got a chance to introduce myself nor did I cared about her as kids.

I squeezed his hand tighter, even when he kept trying to let me go. "Who cares? Let them laugh, I'm already used to it."

His red lips formed into a really thin line and he took a step closer to me. "Don't say that, Lukey. I obviously care."

It was at that moment when I had my first kiss. It was like nothing I ever encountered later on, it was sweet and it was soothing. I thought as if life had handed me a person that I could share everything with.

Though, as we grew up, Michael had other thoughts and began to hang around with other people as soon as his family moved away to another neighborhood. Like most friendships, we started drifting apart. I was jealous of the new friends he kept making at school but couldn't show it because I was afraid of scaring him off.

I didn't had many friends, I wasn't interested in making any as long as I still had Michael. I planned on telling him that once, when I was thirteen.

But he rejected me. Really badly, too. In front of some of his friends, after school and before summer had started. He said, "Luke. I don't like you, man. That 'thing' when we were seven was just me trying to cheer you up. Don't go mistaking me for something else, it's freaking gross."

Tweens around us 'oohed' at me, I had no words to tell him back. It was true that he never shown interest in me in any other way like that, but somewhere inside me...I was really wishing he did.

But that was years ago, I grew older. I have a job, a car, my own place...I couldn't waste my time by thinking about the past. Not to mention, the person I was after wasn't him anymore.

It was Ashton.

〜 "Is it illegal if I date someone who's already eighteen?" Corinne just asked as if it wasn't a big deal. She let her hands fall to her thighs, emitting a funny slapping sound as I put on my seatbelt. "'Cause I'm almost fifteen, so it's only three years apart and that doesn't sound bad, does it?"

I paused for a moment, turning on the engine of my car and letting out a huge sigh. "We're not going to see Michael."

"Why not? You promised my mom that you'll take me where ever I wanted! I wanna go see him."