6

Tee

"Oh baby......" I whispered looking at the x-ray with my dad. They crowded all around her lungs.

"They've matured. These has to be about a foot long." Dad pointed to the thin worms that was curled tight in Maisy's lungs.

"Fuck.....it's so many of them......they've probably been growing since Darius brought her." I said in shocked awe. That's why her breathing was extra heavy this morning. I also noticed the swelling in her stomach too.

It only takes a couple months for them to mature and I should've done an x-ray way before.

"How he find her?" Dad wrote on this clipboard.

"Raid....." I petted her head, watching her in worry. Dad nodded his head silently and looked at me.

"Meredith is at the association now, turning in the proposal, but we need to act now." Dad said.

"I know we need steroids to stop them from forming and growing, antibiotics......"

"That's for pre treatment. Now you need the injectable treatment for the next few months......"

"Which would be Immiticide because there's more adults than juvenile......"

"That's my girl......" I moved in front a slightly wheezing Maisy. She stared out in the distance, quietly tryna lay on her side. I smoothed my hand over her head and got on my knees. I stared in her eyes, so sad and confused.......

"It's ok mama......we gon get you better....." I whispered to her. Maisy's eyes moved to mines and I kept rubbing her head. Leaning to her, I kissed Maisy on her forehead.

"It's ok mama......Imma be here with you. You're gonna get better."

"The injection is expired." Dad looked at the box he pulled out of the cabinet in the office. "Listen go to Dr. Solomon's pharmacy, tell him to give you a two week supply and order another month supply for later. We hadn't had a dog with heartworms in a while, so I didn't even remind you to check the stock." He ripped the paper and gave it to me. I grabbed my bookbag and Maisy let out a soft whine.

"It's okay babe.....Imma be right back. Dad won't hurt you......I promise......" I whispered in her ear.

"I'll be back Nina, going to the pharmacy. Dad's with Maisy in the back."

"K....." I walked the three blocks. I walked past the dog park, Tennessee and Kas would be all up in here. They were both so energetic and hype, I could see why he clicked to her.

I thought about my sister, we checked on her before we left this morning and Kas was still out. When her flare ups hit bad, she's exhausted almost the whole day. She wouldn't be able to give Tennessee his energy. I gave my sister mad respect, though. Kas didn't let MS take control of her. She remained that funny hype energy and kept it moving. I be catching her tryna catch herself when a small flare up bout to happen. She's quiet for a minute and back at it again the next.

A nice ass red barracuda drove past me, I maybe smart as hell, but I know my shit. Tryna study and still live my teenage years was hard, but it balanced out. By the time I graduated highschool, I was already on my way to work on my bachelor's of veterinary science. Got my masters and passed my boards, by the time I was 23. Now at 30, I ran my dad's clinic like a boss and my sister bout to join me soon.

And I partied, had fun while at it, so I can hang on any side.

And they thought the sistahs couldn't do it.....

I walked in the pharmacy and smiled at Robertson. "Hi Mr. Solomon......how's Betty.....?"

I leaned on the counter, he turned to smile at me. Mr. Solomon was like a grandpa to me. He was the one who got my dad interested in veterinary.