Chapter 3 Part 9: Rantaro Amami's Third Freetime Event

Kokichi's POV:

I smirked as I looked into the passage I found. I looked into the information given about this.
The passage told me that this ability was given to someone once every century. That would mean that after a lifespan of eighty or ninety years, there would be a ten year gap before someone else gets this rare gene.
The passage then brought up that this ability couldn't be used on the person who had it. It could only be used on people who are intact when they die.
'So that explained why this person couldn't bring Ryoma back...' I thought, 'Ryoma was a skeleton, but Rantaro and Kirumi were both intact...'
I had a pretty good idea on who had it if this was the correct information. The only thing would left would be to prove it.
"(y/n) is the most suspicious..." I muttered to myself, "I mean she has some sort of thing that cancels out the camera wavelengths and she was there for both Kirumi and Rantaro..."
I continued to think about all of the evidence that I had. If it were (y/n), she'd have to know that she had it. Chances are that she found this book with another person, and that person helped prove to her that she had this.
'Just you wait... I'll find out if you have that ability, my beloved (y/n), and I'll stop this crazy game of yours...' I thought.

Your POV:

After hanging out with Maki, I decided to go back to my dorm for a bit. There were obviously more people to spend time with. I honestly did feel like Maki needed it the most.
    I wondered who I should hang out with next. My mind instantly wandered to Rantaro. Today was slightly stressful for him as well. He was trying to convince everyone that the memory we had just received was connected. I did agree with him.
    I looked on my Monopad to see where Rantaro was. I checked the courtyard, dormitories, first floor, second floor, third floor, and fourth floor. I saw the little pixelated image of him near my lab on the second floor. I wondered what he was doing near my lab, but I was going to see him nonetheless. We could maybe watch some anime or just talk.
I made my way from my dorm room to the second floor. A lot was on my mind while I was making my way up there.
'I have to confess to him sooner or later... if I don't... then he could possibly die in the same way Ryoma did before I could tell him...' I thought nervously, 'in the next couple of days, I should have him meet me at the pool, so I can tell him my feelings...'
Once I made it to the second floor, I walked through the area that once held a weird dragon statue with the missing eye. Rantaro was in view after that, in front of my lab door.
Rantaro seemed to be lost in thought as he was next to my lab door. Soon his eyes wandered to the direction I was coming from. He seemed to noticed me because of that.
Rantaro gave a small smile and a wave as I approached him.
"Hey, (y/n), how can I help you?" Rantaro asked.
"You can hang out with me..." I replied with a nervous blush on my face.
"You know I wouldn't mind doing that..." Rantaro laughed in response with what seemed to be a light blush on his face.
"Would watching anime in my lab be an ok thing to pass the time with?" I asked.
"Yeah sure, maybe you can show me a few animes you like," Rantaro replied with a smile.
That was what settled it. Rantaro and I decided to spend some time in my lab watching some anime. The anime I decided to put in was Akame Ga Kill. I did have a discussion with Maki about this one earlier, so this was the anime that was fresh on my mind.
    I felt like Rantaro and I were getting closer today. That made me smile because I was going to confess to him sooner or later. I reached out to the coffee table and took a box of matcha pocky off of it. I handed it to Rantaro.
    "C'mon (y/n), you don't have to give me your Pocky..." Rantaro told me.
    "It's a gift," I replied, "I'm sure you'll enjoy it... I mean the color is almost the same as your hair."
    Rantaro laughed in response to this. He seemed genuine amused by my words of choice. I was glad I was making him laugh.
    "I'm still working on getting you something special," Rantaro told me, "be patient."
    Once I gave Rantaro the pocky box, I knew I was going to have to explain what this anime was. The ending made a lot of people like me rage, so I had to explain to read the manga without giving spoilers.
"Just to let you know... you're gonna want to read the manga..." I explained, "the ending to this one is not that good..."
    "Is that so," Rantaro asked.
    "Yeah... I waltzed into that anime without knowing a thing about it..." I explained, "and then I was hit hard by the death in the sixth episode..."
    I sighed lightly as I explained that. The death in episode six was so much of a shock to me, that I actually started crying. The circumstances of the death... that crazy redhead...
    "I came there for a good time, not a dead time Rantaro!" I exclaimed.
    Rantaro made a poker face at what I just said. He seemed to be slightly confused on what I said.
    "(y/n), are you alright?" Rantaro asked, "are you having a fever?"
    I blinked twice before starting to laugh. He really did care about me, didn't he? He cared enough about me to make that comment on the joke I made.
    "I'm fine Rantaro!" I laughed, "you can be too funny sometimes!"
    I wiped my eyes from the tears shed while I was laughing. I swear it really was nice to relax for this despite all that's happened. Rantaro really does help me relax and be happier... I wonder where I'd be if he were still dead.
    I didn't want to think about that. I tried to clear my head of the negative thoughts I was having. I just needed to calm down.
    "In any case Rantaro, this anime is pretty dark," I explained, "Akame Ga Kill is a fantasy genre anime that highlights murder, torture, war, and government corruption. It also has some graphic images as well."
    "Are there any other things you need to tell me before I press play?" Rantaro asked me.
    "Well yes..." I replied, "read the manga...."
    Rantaro chuckled lightly at what I just said. He seemed really amused about what I was telling him and how I was telling him.
    "You really must hate the ending, huh?" Rantaro asked, chuckling lightly.
    "I do hate the ending..." I replied with a pout, "they should've followed the manga..."
    "In any case, let's get started before it gets too late," Rantaro told me.
    "Roger that," I replied.
    Rantaro pressed play on the remote, so there was no turning back right now. Akame Ga Kill really had a good art style and story. If only the ending wasn't what it was. I actually would've enjoyed the anime a lot more of certain things didn't happen from episode six and onwards.
(Warning: slight spoiler for episode 1 of Akame Ga Kill)
    In episode one, the main protagonist, Tatsumi was swindled by Leone and basically left on the streets. He was found by a small looking girl named Aria. There was a secret on this family that Rantaro didn't even know yet. This family would take random people from off the streets and torture them or put weird poisons or chemicals into food to see the reactions.
    They were targeted by Night Raid to be killed. Tatsumi was trying to protect Aria at first, but he got a good look in the shed that Aria was going to hide in.
    Many bodies were in there, including one of Tatsumi's friends who was dead. The second friend of his was suffering from a disease that was a cause of what the sick mother put in his food.
    I looked over at Rantaro. His eyes were widened in pure shock. The imagery was probably enough to out anyone into shock. Imagining a sweet girl doing this to people. It just tells you not to judge a book by its cover.
    "H-How do you watch stuff like this?" Rantaro asked in shock.
    "I'm an Otaku..." I muttered in response, "if you are disturbed over this, you certainly won't want to watch Hellsing or Hellsing Ultimate."
    With that, we spent the rest of the afternoon watching Akame Ga Kill. Rantaro seemed like he was enjoying it. It was enjoyable to watch. Up until episode six.
I decided that I would try to test the waters a little bit. We were in the room alone. No one could bother us right now.
My heart was beating so fast as I was trying to muster up the courage to even do what I was going to do. It was like I was having a panic attack... I was terrified to do what I was going to do. I didn't want to be rejected like I always was. Hopefully I had a chance.
I slowly leaned against Rantaro, anxiety filling my mind as I did so. My head rested near his shoulder blade and my arms stayed on my lap. All I could hear was my heart pounding in my ear.
I nervously looked up at Rantaro, and it seemed like his face got redder. It was hard to notice with the anime playing on screen, but I noticed it. Was he going to push me off? Was he going to say, "I'm not interested"?
I turned my face back to the show we were watching and I clenched my eyes shut.
'What if he hates me?' I thought, 'I probably just ruined everything...'
That was when I felt it...
Someone's arm draped across the shoulder that wasn't leaning into Rantaro. Soon enough, the arm that was draped across my shoulder pulled me closer to him...
My eyes widened as a large blush appeared on my face. I was even more pressed up against him than I thought I would be.... he had his arm around me, and he wasn't even complaining about me doing it.
I felt a small smile form on my face. Perhaps I did have a chance. For once... I believed that I had a chance at being happy... despite this awful situation.

Rantaro's POV:

I was focused on the show that (y/n) put on. While we were watching it, I noticed she was getting slightly anxious. I didn't want to say anything because I knew she'd get into a whole state about "how useless she was".
She defiantly wasn't useless to me. I really cared deeply for this girl. I wanted her to be safe, not have to worry on anyone picking on her.
As I was in thought about this, I felt her lean into me. My eyes widened slightly with shock as a blush formed on my face. Was she just tired...? Or...?
She seemed very nervous about doing this. It was obvious. She had clenched her eyes shut probably because she was anxious. I decided that I would make a move.
I slowly hung my shoulder over her back and draped it on her shoulder that wasn't already leaned up against me. After that, I pulled her closer to me.
A darker blush formed on my face as I did this. There were many thoughts racing through my head at this moment.

'I really do love you... huh?'

Haha! You guys love fluff, so I gave it. I did start on this chapter a bit late because of the fact that I was sick Monday-Wednesday. If you're worrying about me, don't! I'm aye okay 👌🏻
I'm still looking for fanart from you guys. Big stuff is happening soon.
And slight announcement. Next Tuesday is my birthday! I'm turning the big 18!
Some of you probably either thought I was younger than I am.... or older...
Well anyway... if you people could make art for authorchan's birthday, that would be very nice. I always love fanart.
Speaking of fanart, I commissioned the picture I'm using for this chapter. You should follow this person on Instagram! Heck... one of the people who read this story found me on Instagram because I commissioned this person again for another picture. So anyway! Stay awesome! I'll be back next week!- CRUSIFIXdroid