Chapter 3 Part 10: Maki Joins Training

Your POV:

    After having a wonderful time, spending the afternoon with Rantaro, I returned to my dorm room. It was nighttime at this point, making the room very dark.
    A blush was present on my face as I thought about the events of today. It was so hard to even believe what I did.
    'I can't believe I leaned into him...' I thought.
   My thoughts were interrupted by the monitor ringing like an electronic bell. The nighttime announcement was about to play, and it was getting very old.
    Once the screen flashed on, I noticed Monodam had a bedtime hat on, as well as a fluffy pillow. The other three Monokubs looked like they were bruised and beaten. Monophanie has a bruised cheek, scratches on her, as well as that weird bra thing half way off of her. Monotaro had bruises on his head, an injured foot, and a sling on his arm. Monokid had more bruises than the two of them. He had his leg in a cast, as well as multiple bumps.
    "So Monodam finally gave Monokid a taste of his own medicine, huh?" I asked myself.
    "This is an official announcement from the Ultimate Academy!" the cubs exclaimed.
    "It is now 10 p.m." Monophanie told us, "it's beddy-bye time for us."
    "YOU-THREE...SHOULD-SLEEP-TOGETHER-IN-ONE-BIG-BED," Monodam said from the announcement.
    "Oh, the four of us could all sleep in one big bed, right?" Monotaro asked.
    "WHY WOULD I WANT TO SLEEP WITH YOU LOSERS!?" Monokid exclaimed in protest.
    The rest of the announcement was about what type of bed those cubs would sleep in. They've talked about one big bed, and they've talked about quadruple bunk beds. It was weird because the green  was forcing them to get along with him. That should be a choice, not an order.
    After the announcement ended, I knew what time it was. It was obviously nighttime. I had training with Shuichi and Kaito. Part of the time, I even forgot that I agreed to train with them. In any case, I had to head outside to meet with them.
    I quietly exited my dorm to make my way to the courtyard to meet with the two. I hastily made my way to to exit.
    "Hiya (y/n)!" a high pitched voice exclaimed, "where are ya going!?"
    I jumped up from the surprise of someone approaching me from behind. I had no idea this person was even there. Angie was the culprit of the scare that happened just now. Why wasn't she in her dorm?
    "A-Angie," I stuttered, "you scared me..."
    I was shaking slightly from Angie's jump scare. I took a few deep breaths to calm myself down. I needed to or else I could have a panic attack.
    A minute passed of me taking deep breaths, so I could calm down. Once I got my heartbeat to a normal pulse, I decided I'd give Angie an answer.
    "I'm just going to take a walk in the courtyard," I explained, "what about you Angie?"
    "Well Shuichi came out moments ago," Angie replied, "he seemed to be going to the same place as you. Oh my! Is this a coincidence?"
    "Why is this any of your business Angie?" I asked.
    "Because we don't want another murder to happen," Angie replied happily.
    I could totally understand why she was asking about what I was doing. I understand she wanted to prevent murders. It was just that Kaito, Shuichi, and I train during the night to work on our confidence levels. We can't murder each other when there are witnesses, and I never planned on killing anyone either.
    "Angie it won't happen..." I told her, "I wouldn't murder anyone, even if my life was on the line. That's the truth."
    "I'll believe you then!" Angie exclaimed, "I was talking to the others, before you and Shuichi came out.
    "Why were you talking to the others?" I asked.
    "They can't hear Atua's voice. I've been explaining Atua's wisdom to the others because they can't hear his voice," Angie replied happily.
    That made sense. Angie would obviously try to spread order through her god. I wasn't going to have any part in it...
"Atua was touched by everyone's feelings, so He said we must all preserve the peace here," Angie explained, "nyahahaha! I'm so relieved! I'll work with everyone to make this academy a paradise!"
I wondered what Angie meant by "working with everyone". It kind of seemed like she was planning something. In any case, I thought it was good idea to try and keep peace. If that happened, we could face less killings in the future. I didn't want to have another case where I couldn't do anything like in Ryoma's case. I wanted to be able to do everything I could.
"Bye-onara, (y/n)!" Angie exclaimed, "I'll see you tomorrow!"
I smiled and waved at Angie before she too went into her dorm for the night. As much as I wanted more peace, I didn't have a good feeling. I let out a small sigh as I thought about a certain event.
The magic show Angie and Himiko planned was a disaster in more ways than one. There was the death by piranhas if Himiko didn't escape in one minute. There was also the fact that Ryoma's body was discovered there. We needed to be prepared for whatever could happen in the future. For now, I needed to focus on the present. I had somewhere I needed to be.
"I should probably get to the courtyard now..." I muttered to myself.
With that, I left the dormitory building to get to the courtyard. I had to use the small trail/sidewalk to get to the courtyard.
As I walked the small path, I looked up. I had no idea where we were, but I knew one thing. The sky was beautiful. It seems a little bit cliche, but looking at a beautiful night sky seems to melt some anxiety away.
I finally made it to the courtyard about a couple minutes later. I noticed Shuichi has already arrived. There was one person missing though. It was obviously Kaito.
I noticed that Shuichi was staring at me a little bit when I got there. I smiled lightly and waved at him. I'm sure these training sessions will make us closer as friends.
"Hey Shuichi." I greeted with a smile, "are you doing alright tonight?"
"H-Hey, (y/n)," Shuichi replied, "I'm doing alright."
"That's good," I told him, "do you have any idea where Kaito is? He isn't here yet."
"I don't know where Kaito is," Shuichi replied, "I just hope he's alright."
I nodded in response. Kaito may have been a slight idiot, but he was courageous and kind. He wanted to help anyone he can. I mean he is helping Shuichi and I get our confidence levels up. He didn't even have to do that, but here we are.
"Hey, sorry I was late," a voice suddenly stated, scaring me slightly, "I had trouble bringing her."
I looked over in front of me to see Kaito himself. He had a bright smile on his face as if he did something remarkable. I was confused on what he meant by "bringing her".
Suddenly, I knew exactly what he meant by that phrase. Maki appeared next to Kaito. She didn't exactly look so happy about these events. I remembered I did invite her to these sessions earlier. Could it be she wanted to come, or did Kaito force her to come?
"Maki?" Shuichi asked, "why is Maki here?"
"That's what I'd like to know," Maki replied, "I mean, (y/n) invited me to come earlier, but she said it was my choice."
She basically put me on the spot like this. It kinda made me nervous in a way because of the fact that both Shuichi and Kaito were staring at me. As much as they were my friends, I still have very bad social anxiety.
"(y/n) is fine," Maki stated.
Maki then pointed directly at Kaito. She had a small glare on her facial features. Maki could very well glare like a pro.
"It's that one," Maki told us, pointing at Kaito, "someone kept buzzing my intercom and I got so fed up, I finally opened the door. Then this guy... him.... grabbed my arm and dragged me all the way here—"
    "Well, don't worry about the small stuff!" Kaito exclaimed in response to Maki, "if we're going to train, it's more fun with four people than three, right?"
    "Training...?" Maki asked, "the four of us? I should've known that this was what was going to happen. (y/n) invited me earlier... this is stupid..."
    Maki turned her back on us as well. I could see why she'd be upset. Kaito basically dragged her here, which kinda counts as kidnapping?
    "I'm going back...." Maki muttered.
    "Heh...you callin' this stupid?" Kaito asked, "listen up! When a hero has to fight with a big enemy, they train, train, then train some more! That's what this training is! It's important for a hero like me.
'What is he talking about?' I thought.
This was pretty confusing for even me. What I got from Kaito was that he was the most important one here. I thought this was training was to get Shuichi and I's confidence back up.
"So you guys can be like super dog, cat, or horse by my side to help me be the hero!" Kaito exclaimed.
"Of all the examples you could have picked..." Shuichi muttered nervously.
"Kaito...?" I spoke up, "I thought these training sessions were for Shuichi and I to gain confidence in ourselves..."
"What better way to get confidence in yourselves than to train with me!?" Kaito asked, "you guys can help me be the hero, and I can help with confidence!"
"What you said just makes it seem like you are a bit self centered..." I replied nervously, "if you help someone, it should be because you want to... you shouldn't be saying stuff only about you being great as well. It could bring people down."
"I do want to help you all. That's why I took you here. That won't change. I at least want to be the hero that saves you all from anxiety or depression," Kaito told us.
I smiled lightly. There was the line I was looking for. The caring Kaito was now showing more. I was happy about that because I didn't want to train to help someone get all of the attention.
"Do you really think that line and explanation earlier would convince me to stay?" Maki asked, "this is still stupid... I'm going back."
"Hey, hold on a sec..." Kaito said nervously, "when I said I was the hero, that's just from my perspective. Even super pets think of themselves as heroes."
So it was only his perspective... that makes things a lot easier to comprehend. He was so desperate for Maki to stay. In truth, I wanted her to stay as well. I think it would be good for her to open her shell. I want to see what she is like when she's happy.
"The same goes for the three of you! Each of you are the heroes of your own stories!" Kaito exclaimed, "so act more like it!"
I was shocked by this. We each are a protagonist in the stories of our lives. Even if Kaito told us we were the heroes of our own stories, I wasn't a hero of mine. I was more of a victim. That's honestly how it's been for me ever since I was born...
Maki was looking down slightly. It's as if she was contemplating an action or what to say.
"I don't know what you're up to...but I told you three to stay away from me," Maki told us, "you know this will end badly if you don't, so why are you being so difficult?"
"How long are you going to run away?" Kaito asked.
Maki's expression turned into an expression of shock. She had a bead of sweat rolling down her face. Kaito seemed to have made a point.
"...What?" Maki asked nervously.
Kaito got closer to Maki and he started examining her face. I wondered what Kaito was even doing.
"Your mask is coming down... I could tell just by looking at you today," Kaito told Maki.
Kaito was right. I noticed this too. Maki looked very upset saying she wanted to be alone. I don't think she wanted to be alone.
"You're not the terrifying person the others think you are..." Kaito explained, "you're just a coward."
    Maki seemed to stay silent at this line. It's almost as if Kaito hit something dead on. I wouldn't call Maki a coward. She just doesn't wanna kill anyone here.
    "Hey, what's your enemy?" Kaito asked.
    "...Huh? My enemy?" Maki asked in response.
    "You don't need to tell me what it is, as long as you know it yourself," Kaito replied, "so how long are you going to run from your enemy?
    "...Run away?" Maki asked in response.
"Yeah, you've been running away. It's pretty pathetic," Kaito replied, "but...if you want to stand against it, even a little... I'll train with you! So you can be strong!"
I was wondering why Kaito was provoking Maki. Maki seemed to have a soft expression of anger on her face. In reality, it was going to get worse if Kaito doesn't stop trying to provoke her. He was antagonizing the Ultimate Assassin after all. Make wasn't even talking either, which allowed Kaito to provoke her more.
"So, what are you going to do!?" Kaito asked.
"Hey, Kaito... It's okay, you don't have to—" Shuichi tried to say when...
"...Fine, I'll do it," Maki told us.
"You actually want to do this?" I asked.
"Don't get the wrong idea," Maki said, puffing her cheeks as she played with her hair, "he'll just bug me about it later if I refuse."
"Heh, so you do get it," Kaito laughed.
"...The only way to deal with idiots like him is to give up and just keep nodding," Maki replied.
"Y-You don't get it at all!" Kaito exclaimed nervously.
Soon enough, we finally got started doing our training. Today it was one hundred pushups. I was struggling with it, but slightly better than last time. We were both counting Kaito's reps because he had a habit of doing less. When we went to check on Maki, she was already almost done with her pushups. This shocked me.
Maki has done training before. She wasn't even out of breath. We were out of breath. Soon enough, we went back to our dorms after having another conversation with Kaito.
Once I got to my dorm room, I instantly fell asleep on the bed. The training always made me exhausted. I still needed to decide when I was going to tell Rantaro how I feel. That's what was on my mind as I entered a dream state...

Hey guys! Since Tuesday, I've been 18, and I even have a party today. I was working on this all week and I hope you enjoy it. I have a new phone, so it's a lot easier to write. To those of you who are younger than me, please live your childhood to the fullest. Eventually, it ends and you're in shock.
Anyway, Maki joined the squad lol. It'll be interesting how this will written in the future. I have major plans. I still need fan art for the chapter three predictions. They will be over soon since we are getting to a major plot point. I hope you all have had an amazing week. Cya next week!-CRUSIFIXdroid