Chapter 76

Harry’s Pov.

“Harry I can’t believe it.” Mia beams, looking down at her finger again.

“Neither can I. I can’t believe that you said yes to me.” I smile at her, still overwhelmed myself.

“Of course I would say yes to you. This has been the best day ever.”

“Yes it has.” I agree.

We’re still sat at the table. Everyone has congratulated us as well as half of the restaurant. Mia’s Dad, Malcom catches my attention as he stands up. He walks around to where I’m sat and taps me on the shoulder.

“Word?” He looks at me.

“Urm…okay?” Shit.

He walks off outside the door, expecting me to follow I suppose.

As a stand Mia grabs my arm.

“What’s up? Where are you going?” She asks.

“Just to chat to your Dad. I won’t be long.” Unless he attacks me.

Mia nods but doesn’t reply. I follow Malcom’s footsteps which lead outside. I look around until I spot him. He is stood against the wall, with his arms crossed.

Oh that’s it. I’m fucked!

“Alright Malcom. What’s up?” I approach.

“Nothing much really. Just the fact I may be a little bit angry.”

“Why…?” I know why.

“In my days you had to ask for the father’s permission to marry their daughter…” Please don’t start with this crap.

“I mean come on what if I don’t think you are the right guy for Mia. I don’t want to see her get hurt. She has been through so much upset in her life and she doesn’t need anymore. I hate to say it but most of her upset is because of me for not protecting her. How do I know that you’re going to protect her?”

“Because I will.” I say.

“You say you will but how do I know you will? But now you don’t only have Mia to look after, you also have a little baby to look after. My family mean a lot to me Harry and I want to know if they are going to be safe.  You’ve only been with Mia what? Around two and a half years?”

“Correct.”

“Exactly.” He rolls his eyes.

“Malcom, I don’t want to be with Mia to hurt her. I haven’t just asked her to marry me just for the fun of it. I’ve done it because I love her and she has changed my life around. I’ve done it because I want to be with her for the rest of my life and I never want to lose her. She makes me smile and laugh and hopefully I do the same to her too. Never in a million years did I ever think I would ask a girl to marry me but Mia has made me see life differently and now I know that life doesn’t last forever. Okay I know I should have done it the old fashioned way and asked you first but it’s too late, I’ve already done it…and….and if we don’t have your blessing…” I stop when I notice that Malcom is laughing.

“Harry chill.” He laughs again. “I’m kidding you. Your face is a picture right now.”

“What I don’t understand?” Excuse me for being dumb but was he just playing me?

“Of course you have my blessing. There’s nobody I would want Mia to marry better than you. I can tell that you love her. I just wanted to congratulate you on your own because you deserve this praise.” He pats his hand down on my shoulder. “You helped Mia through life when I didn’t and I can tell how happy you make her. I have a lot to thank you for.”