forty two

Benjamin and Mary are seven months old

•••

"I really don't want to do this," Peter said, tapping his fingers on his leg, as they pulled up to Midtown. "I can already hear their rumors," Michelle said, closing her eyes and leaning her head on the headrest.

"You two will be fine," Tony tried to encourage them, "It'll probably be hell, but think of what you get to come home to." Michelle smiled, thinking about the twins, "I guess you're right. I already miss them so much."

Peter shook his head, agreeing. "Time to get out. Pete, do you need help?" Tony asked, looking back into the backseat. Peter shook his head 'no.'

He did the whole, braces, sit in wheelchair, no braces, routine with Michelle's help. He would've used his braces, but he knew his nerves would get the best of him. One shaky hand can cause him to fall.

"Stay out of trouble and I'll be back to pick you up," Tony told them through the car window. "Trust me, easy life for now on. It's been crazy enough," Michelle told him. Peter just laughed, "You literally live with superheroes." Michelle smacked the back of his head, and Tony laughed. "Not what I mean, smart ass."

"You two better go. See you at three," Tony waved to them, then drove off.

The two started walking towards the school, since they had Tony park a block away. Some stray students noticed them, but they didn't say anything. They just whispered to their friends.

"I hate being the center of attention, and that's all we're going to be today," Michelle said, walking beside Peter. "God, me too. If anyone asks, we're just saying car wreck, right?" Peter asked.

"Yes. I don't feel like getting judged by everyone right now. The staring and whispers are enough for one day," Michelle told him.

The two walked in a comfortable silence the rest of the way. Neither had anything to say.

When they walked up to the school building, everyone stopped what they were doing to stare at them. "Just keep going," Michelle whispered just loud enough for Peter's enhanced hearing to hear.

They continued to the entrance of the school, both of them taking the ramp. "Here goes nothing," Peter said, Michelle then opened the door.

Like outside, every stopped and stared. Peter and Michelle both stood awkwardly at the entrance. Peter was twisting the ring around his finger, trying to relive his nerves. Michelle looked at her shoes, wishing to avoid everyone.

Mj would have had a smart comeback to all of them, but Michelle was lost. Having her children changed her. She wasn't a sarcastic smart ass anymore. She matured and found a new look on life.

Trying to avoid the stares, she started walking. Peter followed behind her. Michelle lead Peter to their lockers, which were beside each other thanks to Tony.

Once they both got their lockers opened, most people had stopped staring. The whispering however, never stopped.

"Peter, Mj?"

•••

y'all can probably guess who said that.

anyways, sorry about how bad and how many spelling errors last chapter had. i literally wrote it half awake.

i'm really proud of this chapter. i think it's some of my best writing.

-Nat