89

Zoe helped Martin to step out of the van with one hand stretched around his back and the other on his chest.
"I'm okay, Zoe." He Insisted as he saw the five teenagers sitting down on a bench overlooking the beautiful roman town.
"Well, you obviously aren't you fainted from the pain." She responded, linking her arm with his as they slowly made their way towards the bench.
"Honestly, I feel much better now, I think the tablets have kicked in." He said, taking a seat on the bench, she sat down beside him and watched him give a wholly exhale.
Ryan passed Martin a small polystyrene box, saying "don't know if you're up for it, but we bought you guys some chips."
"Oh you legend, thanks a million." Martin responded, taking the box and opening it on his lap beside Zoe.
"Do you know what might have caused the stitches to open?" Asked Zoë, stuffing a chip in her mouth.
Martin nodded, "Yep." He replied, taking another chip and looking her right in the eyes.
Zoe quickly covered her mouth, "shit- really?" She said,
"Maybe it was a bit too passionate for two tired old thirty-year olds." He laughed quietly into her ear,
"Fuck.. I'm thirty." She sighed, leaning her head against his shoulder, "and I can't even get drunk."
Martin laughed, wrapping his arm around her neck as he took another chip,
"Shall I book a hotel?" He asked her,
"Nah. I think we can spare our change and stay in the van." She suggested, "plus- it'd discourage us from anymore passionate movements."
Martin pulled out his phone, opening up his bank account and seeing the profits he had gained, his lips formed a slight smile.
"It appears I'm not broke anymore." He told her, and she took a peek,
"Did you get the inheritance?" She asked,
"Money's back." He said, "plus some of the extra stuff.. we could afford a hotel.. how do you feel about Venice?"
"I've never been to Venice before." She told him, "always wanted to go."
"Well.." he began, looking at hotels available in Venice, till he found a 5 star penthouse by the river and found himself checking dates.
Zoe had gone across the road to put the rubbish in the bin and by the time she arrived again, he had a huge grin on her face.
"What are you up to?" She asked, smirking at him.
"Happy birthday." He responded, showing her his phone.
"W-What?!" She shrieked, making the band immediately look to her, "you did not just do that!"
"I... did." He replied, laughing at her shock.
"Oh my god..." she broke him into a passionate embrace, "why would you do that, it's so bloody expensive!"
"It's your thirtieth birthday, and you've never been to Venice, what other excuse do you need?" He laughed,
"H-how many bedrooms has it got?" She asked,
"I don't know- like five?" He responded,
"When are we checking in?" She Asked,
"The day after tomorrow." He told her, looking sincerely into her excited eyes.
"I bloody love you." She told him, patting his back as she hugged him cheek to cheek.
"Quite right too." He replied, rubbing her waist and smiling as he closed his eyes in the heat of the day.
"Mr Martini?!" Called Ollie from another bench adjacent.
"Oliver?!" He called back,
"C'mere we need to speak to you!"
"I'm in quite a bit of pain- why don't you come here?!"
"Miss Flynn can't hear!"
"Well then ask her very politely to piss off!"
Zoe giggled and broke off the hug with a quick kiss on his cheek before picking up her phone and walking to the other side of the road, calling someone.
The band crowded around him, and Cloda sat on the bench beside him,
"What did you do to yourself?" Asked Cloda, looking at him with pity.
"Stitches came loose and I had to redo them." He told them, bluntly.
"Ouch.." reacted Lucy.
"Right what do you need to talk to me about?" Asked Martin, patting his hands on his lap as he looked at his students.
"Quite a few things." Said Ollie, "But- while Miss Flynn is gone-"
"-when are you gonna propose?" Interrupted Ryan,
"Y'wha?" Questioned Martin, folding his arms immediately, "you're not bloody serious!"
"Well- you two are bloody serious- when are you gonna put the big ring on her?" Laughed Ollie,
"Not yet?! w-where's this coming from! We've barely known each other three weeks." He responded,
"Hey- after what you've been through in the last year- your commitment to her last night just proves that you're ready." Said Cloda.
"Guys, no. You don't need to give someone a fancy shiny ring and spend a heck load of money of a big white wedding to show your commitment. I've got no intention of getting married again." He told them with a surprised gaze.
He found himself looking across the road at Zoe who was speaking on the phone, her eyes locked with his as she continued to talk, she gleamed at him as her mouth formed a smile, but Martin could see the glimmer of tears in her green gaze, the sadness then began to override the happiness in her countenance, and she looked down, she wasn't saying anything anymore, her shaking hand began to cover her mouth. Martin knew that she needed to be alone while this call proceeded.
"Is she okay?" Asked Cloda.
Martin shook his head.
"Sir, I think you're needed." Said Ollie.
Martin slowly began to sit up, cringing in the pain, but knowing that he owed it to her. He eventually stood up and walked across the road. Meanwhile Zoë put down her phone and leaned up against a shop wall.
When they stood about a metre apart, Zoe broke down, and found her way into Martin's arms.
"I'm sorry." She whispered, a gush of grief overwhelming her.
Martin said nothing and let her speak, "I- I've gotta go home." She said, making Martin look over to her, and look deep into her eyes as she softly said,
"Dad just died."
His embrace was warmer than ever before, he pressed a kiss onto her forehead and gently stroked her hair.
"I'll get you to the nearest airport." He assured her, placing his hands on her arms and looking earnestly into her eyes.
"I love you." She whispered, a tear spilling from her left eye.
"I love you so much more." He responded, his heart beating loudly with adoration.
"M-Martin.. if it weren't for you I'd have killed myself." She murmured, hugging him again, her cheek pressing against his,
"Vise versa." He replied, holding her passionately before they made eye contact again.
"Let's go." He said, breaking up the hug and looking to the van which remained parked.