[Chapter Seventy-Three] Where She Sets Things Straight

Chapter Seventy-Three – Where She Sets Things Straight
Bailey's Pov

We worked it out, I couldn't always going running away from my problems and the right thing to do was to stay, to not leave with nasty words spoken between us. Though I still stick with my decision to leave the day we got back from Hawaii; I needed a few days away to let him think and to reassess. If I would have stayed it would have turned into a bigger fight than we had yesterday and you can't take words back.

That sticks and stones bullshit was absolute crap. Bones heal, wounds and bruises go away but emotional damage doesn't work that way. People will call you sensitive, but what's wrong with being sensitive? People will say nasty things about you because words do hurt; but maybe someone should have taught them to be kind with their words as well as their actions.

Life was about choices and actions; and I had made mine that night as I laid in bed wondering what we were going to do about Calvin. Obviously we knew what we were going to do; but I laid at night thinking of all the details. Who he would be to us, if he would come over and if Julian and I would go to sporting events or recitals. His life has changed in the blink of an eye and that means that mine has too.

Fear was a driving force; mostly fear about not knowing how to be a step-parent. Parenting was one thing, you knew that was hard but you knew the basics of what you needed to teach your child and if you needed help you googled, got a support group, asked parents or just completely fucked up and tried to learn from it.

But being a step-parent was different. Your significant other is that, they are the ones who make the decisions and you aren't. You can't google that because every mother or father is different. Every parents wishes are different, every parent is different on how much they allow you into their childs life. I don't want to step on her toes or make her feel like I'm trying to take her place; but I also don't want to be some stranger either.

When I couldn't sleep I went and looked up what people were saying about us; most of it wasn't good. Julian's character was up for debate and everyone was so sure I would leave him; in their words I would if I was smart and only an idiot would continue to stand by him through this.

There was a photo from what looked like college of Carissa in little clothing; calling her a whore or easy. That pissed me off and I know that they said she's the one who was ruining my life but I became instantly defensive of her. They didn't know what we knew, but that didn't matter. All these other girls are telling their story but now suddenly they decide to change and attack her.

Her son doesn't need to see that and she sure as hell doesn't need that in her life. There was a knock on the door and Drew was on the other side with cake.

"I'm sorry that it wasn't a hoax." He hugged me and I wanted to cry but I was done with the tears. My life is good and Julian is good to me; great even, I'm not a victim. This isn't happening to me; this is happening to all five of us.

This affects Carissa, Calvin and Julian of course, but it also impacts my life as well as Melina's. Melina, Julian and I; we're a family.

"We're going to be okay." But it just didn't feel like it yet.

"I know." He handed me the cake and had two forks already with him as well as a bottle of chocolate milk.

"We had a huge fight; I said some pretty awful things." Guilt; who gains pleasure in harming the person who loves you more than you love yourself?

"What did you say?" The cake gave me an opportunity to stall for a few seconds.

"Have you seen some of these sex tapes?" Probably not; why the fuck would he want to watch his sisters boyfriend having sex with other women; that was weird.