He's A Hero, But He's Stupid.

--------

Austin

--------

“I have to what?!” She shouted, standing up, her hands clenching at her sleeves. “That’s fucking ridiculous!” 

“I know.” Austin said, his voice small. “but I know you don’t want to take 9th grade again-” 

“School? School? They’re worried about school?” Sienna’s voice got higher and higher with each shout she emitted from her mouth. “Why would they even-I can’t-what the fuck?” She turned on her heel and stormed from the lounge to her bunk. Austin watched as she jumped up and pulled herself into the bunk. He could hear her bury her face into her pillow and start sobbing louder. He felt an insane amount of guilt in his stomach. 

Alan walked into the lounge after giving Sienna’s bunk a longing look and plopped down next to Austin. Austin placed his head in his hands and sighed. “She hates me.” Austin mumbled quietly. 

“She doesn’t hate you.” Alan replied, giving him a small smile. “What makes you think that?” 

“Did you see how she yelled at me?” Austin asked, extending a hand towards her bunk. “She’s so fucking pissed, man.” 

“I would be too.” Alan admitted. “I mean, what teenaged girl would like to be told that they had to go start school up again? Not to mention her mother’s passing too.” 

Austin nodded, pretending to understand. Alan smiled gently and patted his friends arm. “You should go talk to her.” 

“I don’t think she wants to talk to me.” Austin sighed, pushing Alan’s hand away from him. Alan gave him another small smile. 

“You’ll never know until she tells you that she wants to be alone.” Alan warned. “Remember what happened last time?” 

Austin fell silent as he remembered finding his daughter on the ground. He never wanted that to happen. He didn’t want anything to happen like that again. He nodded and patted his friend on the knee and stood up, scratching his head. “You’re right.” 

He walked to her bunk and knocked on the wood. “Si?” He asked, pulling back her curtain. She looked flustered as she turned over slightly, hugging the blanket to herself. “Can we talk?” 

“What is there to talk about?” she grunted. Austin sighed and rubbed at his head again. He scratched at his eyebrow and cleared his throat.

“School.” 

“I hate school.” she mumbled, facing the wall. Austin bit his lip and sank into his bunk, right under hers. He knew that there was a little bit of space between his and hers and he poked his phone up hers. He had written something out for her and hoped that she would read it. She took it and Austin waited anxiously and silently. He heard her snort and soon his phone was being dropped back onto his chest. He quickly read her response. 

School’s stupid. And it’s stupid you’re making me do this right now. 

Austin sighed and sank his teeth into his lip before typing a reply. 

I know you’re upset. But I’m trying to help you out by not making you take 9th grade again. 

She read this and he heard her take a deep breath. 

I know what you’re trying to do. I can’t do this. I can’t do work on a tour...

Austin grinned. He knew she would come around the corner.