CHAPTER 49

Ashleys POV

After awhile of walking towards the forest I turned around and glared at Daniel, my mate. "Why the hell was she in your arms!" I screamed at him before realizing that I sounded like a jealous girlfriend. "She was hurt. But that's not important. I wanted to ask you, why you're avoiding me. You must know were mates so why avoid me? Why don't you let me near you?" He asked me hurt evident in his eyes and voice.

I took a deep breath and let the words flow out of me. "Look, Daniel. I don't want you near me not now, not ever. Its not a personal vendetta or anything against you as a person. I just don't want a mate. Ever." I came off sounding pissed off and annoyed but what got me the most was the moment those awefull, hurtfull words left my lips. I wanted to take it all back and say I didn't mean it but I bit my tongue and said nothing.

"Wait, what? Why!" He yelled and I flinched. I didn't want to hurt him. Honest, I didn't but I couldn't accept him not after I was broken beyond repair by the person who I tursted to keep me safe. I didn't want any man in my life not ever thanx to that horrible man. He ruined me and marked me for the rest of my life. (Mark as in emotional not a physical mark. Its not a mating mark.)

I pondered telling him but I only shook my head. "No? No what?" He asked me and I froze. He'd seen me shake my head and thought that was my answer but it wasn't. I just wanted to get that aweful memory out of my mind. I turned away from him but he caught my arm sending a shiver up my spine. He brought me back to him and kissed me. He was so soft and gentle as his lips contorted to mine. It was an amazing feeling.

Skin rubbing against skin, fear permeating the surroundings, a harsh cruel laugh that seemed to be emminating from all around me. "No, No, Please no." I begged, "NO!" I yelled pushing my mate away from me with as much force as I could muster. The instant his lips left mine I was left with an empty feeling and wanted to pull him back to me.

"Ok, fine. I won't bother you again." He whispered sadly as he dusted himself off and walked away. I fell to the ground in tears as I let the snow begin to cover my body with a thin coat of wetness. "Ash? Ash, where are you?" I heard my sister calling for me but I just couldn't muster the energy to answer her. I heard her gasp as she saw me laying on the floor and rushed to my side. "Ash! Did that man hurt you? Ash, answer me!" She yelled hysterically.

I moved just a little and heard as she sighed with relief. "Oh, Ash what happened." She asked me and felt as fresh tears made there way down my face. "He's my mate Case." I whispered every single word pained me because I had just pushed away the one person meant for me. "Did he reject you?" She asked me angriely and I shook my head. "I rejected him." I told her and sobbed at the thought of what id done to him.

"Oh, Ash, but why?" She asked me as she sat me up and hugged me. "You know why Case. You above everyone else knows why I can't have him. I'm dirty." I whispered and she glared at me. "Ashley, You are not dirty and it wasn't your fault what happened back then. But you've got to move on and give yourself a chance to be happy." She said and got up. "Come on, let's go inside before you get buried under the snow." She said and helped me up to my feet.

"I can't Case. We were kissing and it felt amazing but then that horrible smell and that aweful laugh filled my head and I pushed him away." I told her sadly. My sister hugge me, "It'll be ok, Ash." She whispered to me and helped me dust myself off before heading back inside for a dry change of clothes. When we stepped inside his scent hit me like a ton of brick as I felt myself freeze for a second.

Luckyly, he wasn't in the living room which didn't make me feel all that better because that meant he was with Lilly in the room they shared. It pained me but I knew it had been my choice to push him away because I couldn't stand any guy touching me. I wanted him so badly but I couldn't. I just couldn't and that hurt me even more. I could feel myself wanting to whimper but I held it back refusing to seem weak.

Daniels POV

I was laying down in the bed staring at the wall when Lilly came out of the shower and saw me there. "She said she didn't want me." Were the only words that left my mouth as Lilly sat down on the bed next to me. "I'm sorry, Danny. She doesn't know what she's missing. You are an amazing person and any girl would be lucky to have a man like you." She spoke with such confidence but that still didn't make me feel any better.

I felt like it had just been runned over and let me tell you that is one horrible feeling. She layed down next to me and hugged me. I looked down at her and raised my eyebrow, "It'll be, ok." She whispered as she hugged me. "This isn't appropriate." I told her and she giggled. "We're friends Danny. There's nothing wrong with hugging each other." She said without a care in the world. I shrugged and wrapped my arms around her.

We didn't move and we didn't speak. Slowly unknowingly my eyes begin to grow weak and droopy. I fight sleeping not wanting to fall asleep while Lilly, my future alpha, layed cradled in my arms but I can't. Sleep takes me as I slowly close my eyes and begin to dream.

¥ Soft laughter fills my ears as my mother softly tackles me before picking me up in her. I was barely four then still very young and loving every moment with my mother. "Caught you." She squealed happily as she twirled me around and I laughed. I didn't have a care in the world. I was happy with my life back then because I had my parents and they both loved me and I knew it. My dad comes out from inside the house pretending to be a dinosaur and I ran to him. My mom walks towards us and we hug, "My two treasures. I love you with all my heart." My father said and those words never left me. They followed me everywhere because I knew and remembered that it was true. ¥

I wake up smiling from the sweet memory only to realize that Lilly was still in my arms sound asleep. I didn't want to jostle her so instead of moving I just lay there next to her. She'd said we were friends but were we, really? I was after all her guard. I was meant to be able to give my life to protect her and our pack. But she was being honest I had no doubt and felt myself smiling at the tought. I had an alpha for a friend.

I didn't have very many friends back home. Sure, there was a few I hanged out with mostly other guards and many more aquaintences but friends. Real friends, I had but a few here and there. Those who I counted as friends were special and we called upon each other in time of need. They were useful to me as I was to them. That was one of the many things we had bonded over. Could my future alpha really be my friend?

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

Four chapters up in less than a week! Isn't that awesome? VOTE, COMMENT, SHARE and ADD to your libraried and lists! What did you think of Dannys dream? Its just a little peek into his past. For those of you who might be thinking "Oh wow another mate for the girl." I wanna get this straight. Daniel is not her mate nor will he ever be her mate. They are just friends and in his time of sadness over his mate Lilly wanted to comfort him. Haven't you ever been comforted by a hug or human contact of any kind? Not every male and female that sleep in the same bed have to be "together". Don't go thinking wrong. CDG out...